305's on OBS factory alloys

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Do they fit?
I know the bumper will need to be shimmed out cause my 285's all but scrub and the 305's while not taller, are a snudge wider.
Just wanna know if they fit on the rims...
Nitto Terra Grappler 305/70/16 "E"

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
yes but they will rub the springs at full lock and will have a pretty big bulge to them, my buddy had some on a 96 and i'm pretty sure it wasn't lifted (if it was it was no more than a leveling kit)... the rubbing was not enought to bother me but if your picky ??? and i like tires that bulge because if you pop a rock wheeling it doesn't booger the rim but some folk don't like that either

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are running 285/75/16's now geo? If so, then just as suggested above, your only issue will be lock to lock.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jlayne said:
and will have a pretty big bulge to them
George, how big of a deal is stability?

I ask because I was once told by a tire guy that wide tires on a narrow (i.e. stock) rim can have a negative effect on the stability of the truck...I'm not sure if this is true or not, but it seemed logical to me. OTOH, I don't think stability's all THAT affected unless the truck's weighted down quite a bit, so if you're not regularly pulling a heavy trailer or loaded to near GVWR, it's probably not a big deal.

Just something to think about :cool

I assume that 235/85's are stock for the Alcoas as well as the steel rims?

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
from personal experience of 305's being on my superduty with stock rims, i would say you would have to be a good bit over GVWR to worry about the stability caused by the wider tire/narrower rim... the person i know with a OBS truck and 305's has never complained about them either and he frequently exceeds the GVWR towing a gooseneck stock trailer

but some do say they have noticed the truck being more unstable when loaded very heavy... might be differences in sidewall stiffness on the tires??? i dunno

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Thanx for the replies :cheers:

As far as stability/sidewall etc they are a 10 ply="E" load range
....the Terra Grapplers are not avail in 285 cookoo BUT can get them in 295 and 305/315 etc.....

I sit right at 8k now and have not had any issues with either the BFG AT KO's 8 ply nor the Wild Country XTX 8 ply ;Sweet

They are getting mounted this afternoon :thumbsup: need new meats for my new years trip to Joisey :D

Only ? I have is I have done surprisingly well on ice with 8 ply both the BFG's and XTX.........wondr how the 10 ply will do considering it is a tad "harder"?

I couldn't pass up the deal on the Nitto's on the rim, out the door, 100 percent road hazard {not pro rated chit} life time free rotate and balance which I try and do every 2nd oil change=8/9 k mi.

Think $744 is too high?

agomez

Reaction score
I ran 31575r16 on stock steel rim with no problem but have noticed some cracking around the bead, they did rub on full turns on the leafs and did have to shim bumper other than that no problems with handling ect,,

Andy

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Well they are ON ;Sweet

Nitto must have a better quality control than most cause the tech was commenting that no tire took more than .75
weight to balance :hail

My Wild Country and even the BFG's all took upwards of 2.5
and that was after dismounting and rotating the tire 180 on the rim.

They ride great and are surprisingly quiet :D

Had to remove the bumper tho...will space it out tomorrow.
Truck looks wierd now with the front receiver out in the open and just the frame rails poking out LOL

NOW to find some MUDD....need evil grin smiley ;p

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool beans Geo, and for the balancing............. I know alot of that can depend on the tech (tire jockey) and his willingness to do it right. Take a few pics of the girl with her new shoes on for us.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Cool beans Geo, Take a few pics of the girl with her new shoes on for us.

:D ;Sweet :thumbsup:
Shimmed the bumper 3/4" and they only rub the springs on full lock/off camber.
They don't bulge as much as I was led to believe ;Sweet
These are the best I have for now......

Attachments

• tire-1.JPG
    tire-1.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 56
  • tire-2.JPG
    tire-2.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 37

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
looks good!

i'm gonna put some more 305's on my truck one day... i took mine off because i started driving 1200+ miles per week and needed better mileage and a quieter ride (i had dunlop mud tires) and being in the past 50K my truck has only been in 4WD twice i couldn't really justify the mud tires right now

but i have heard the nitos are nice and quiet... how is the noise?

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score

With 4" straight exh and 5" tail/tip :D plus 500 watts of sound......

WHAT NOISE LOL LOL

Seriously, they are remarkably quiet for as aggressive the tread is ;Sweet Good solid ride and road "feel" for an 8k lb truck!

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
jlayne said:
looks good!

i'm gonna put some more 305's on my truck one day... i took mine off because i started driving 1200+ miles per week and needed better mileage and a quieter ride (i had dunlop mud tires) and being in the past 50K my truck has only been in 4WD twice i couldn't really justify the mud tires right now

I don't know why people use such large sizes. :confused:
I have (what I believe to be) the quietest tires with a true hiway rib in stock 235/85/16.
Forget snow or mud with these tires...but for my needs they're a great heavy duty tire.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
hheynow said:
I don't know why people use such large sizes. :confused:
I have (what I believe to be) the quietest tires with a true hiway rib in stock 235/85/16.[/url]
Forget snow or mud with these tires...but for my needs they're a great heavy duty tire.

Well Rich...mud and some snow are in my nermal work routine, not to mention jobsites that usually are either up hill/downhill and other than dirt/rocks/ruts from excavation,material trucks are the only way in.

Even on dry days, getting that trailer loaded with a curved stair or the welding trailer to the house requires 4wd....one of the reasons I bought the truck ;Sweet

As for the SIZE :Sly well....sum of us need to compensate,
if'n ya knowhutImean ;p :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online