3 years not running, got it started (long)

PnrFab

Reaction score
first made a post several months back on another site (just found out about this one :D ) anyway here is a link to my first post first post about this truck since then i check the oil, had oil (black), installed some batteries, disconnected the hose that runs from the tanks to the fuel pump into a 5 gallon tank with fresh diesel and fleetguard additive in it, dropped the steering column (no ignition) and pushed the lever that runs along the top into the "ON" position to power glow plugs. long story short got it running. now what would be the next thing i do? it was decommissioned for a reason (unless security wanted a new truck and just made a reason) someone around work said something like bad compression but not really sure. would that be the next thing i do, before dumping allot of money into her (oil change, hoses, belts, etc...) until i find its really in good shape...sorry for the long post but any help is really appreciated...

one more thing, radiator was bone dry (filled with water), and now i just found out about the cavitation. truck ran for less then 10 mins untill i pulled the fuel line out of tank and starved it. also noticed the tach was not working is that due to not having a ignition and just sliding the bar on steering column forward?

-josh

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh,
Just wanted to get this back in circulation since it seems it was overlooked. I'm afraid I can't comment on the tach, although if your instrument cluster had no power, then yes, there would be not tach.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Josh,

Without spending the money on a compression testor or having somebody else check it for you heres something you can do to give you some indication of the condition of the rings etc..Much beyond this and you have to spend a few bucks.
  1. Fire it back up and make note of the color of smoke. a puff of whitish grey or a puff of black on initial start that clears up is fine. If it's blue and lingers for a little while and then clears up it may be a sign of valve stem seals going bad. If it smokes blue constantly could be a stuck or cracked ring, worn rings etc.
  2. While it's running bring the rpms up to say 1500 - 2000 (aproximatly, I know your tach isn't working) a bit and note the color of smoke. If it isn't smoking good chance that it's fine. Constant black smoke would be a signal of it needing work or adjustment on the fuel system and of course constant blue smoke is bad rings anongst a few other things.
  3. Now while it's still running take off the oil filler cap. If it's puffing steam like an old steam engine you have a problem with blowby.
  4. Now that it has been running a while it should be warm enough to tell if it has a problem with block worm or a blown head gasket because most likely the radiator would have boiled over by now because of hot compression gasses entering the cooling system.
These are a few simple things you can check without spending anything other than a buck or 2 for fuel to help you make a decision. If it passed these tests it is probably fine.

Bear in mind that sitting untouched is about the worst thing that can happen to a piece of machinery. Electrical connections corrode, brake systems rust from the inside out and wheel cylinders and caliper pistons sieze because of moisture, seals dry up and shrink, etc. If you fix her up plan on having to replace seals that start leaking, cleaning about every electrical connector and completely going through the brakes.

Now to estimate the cost of repairs needed.
  1. write down everything you can find that needs to be repaired or replaced.
  2. research prices on those repairs and parts.
  3. Add everything up to get a ....Subtotal
  4. Now multiply this figure by 2 or 3:eek: to get a real Total estimate to cover everything you don't see

PnrFab

Reaction score
thx for the reply, i just have never owned a diesel before so this is all new to me. ill do the test like you described and see what comes up and if its good, well time open up the wallet :backoff haha..thx again

-josh