3 trucks to make one!

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I have what is a question of experience or possibly legality. I purchased a 4x4 powerstroke just for the engine this summer. It's wrecked but he's a good title.
Now, I just purchased two other f250s. One is a 4x4 1990 NA IDI with welding body and a factory dually conversion. This had a title but it was never transferred from 7 years ago and the titled owner is deceased.
The other is a 93 4x4 f250 with an IDI and an ATS turbo system. And no bed. This truck had a salvage title, maybe. Don't know yet.

So now for the question. I want to make one good truck out of these three trucks. So how do I get them combined legally. The good title truck had a goodish frame but no engine. But I could make a whole truck from the two IDI trucks but I need to get the title from the wrecked truck on the franken-truck.

Any ideas? Is this crazy? Stupid? Impossible?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
What type of truck are you wanting to build? Please give us a description of the body/chassis lay out. My simple answer is that you have to use the cab of the one with the good title. I have no idea what you'd have to do with the possible no title and the deceased owner (on paper) trucks in Louisiana. I don't even know what to do with them in Kansas. In Kansas, you can have a vehicle with a salvage title inspected and get a regular title after everything's back into operating condition.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the title truck had bad cab. So is it just slap illegal to transfer the vin tag? Sounds like it to me. But one of the idi trucks is pretty much complete except foe the bed and front clip. But it has a salvage title (or no title) the third truck is a runner but is the one with the deceased owner. Story is my friend( who is law enforcement) bought the truck from the guy and the guy died. He never had the title transferred into his name so that's the situation.

so I pretty much want to use the title from one truck, and the everything from the other (non titled) truck.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least they are both f250s. One is a 93 (non title) and a 97 (wrecked but good title)

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the title truck had bad cab. So is it just slap illegal to transfer the vin tag? Sounds like it to me. But one of the idi trucks is pretty much complete except foe the bed and front clip. But it has a salvage title (or no title) the third truck is a runner but is the one with the deceased owner. Story is my friend( who is law enforcement) bought the truck from the guy and the guy died. He never had the title transferred into his name so that's the situation.

so I pretty much want to use the title from one truck, and the everything from the other (non titled) truck.
Which truck is the best "BASE" truck?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I would say either using the titled truck to build off of like @IDIBRONCO said, or you should be able to swap the titled cab onto the untitled trucks frame if that works better. Are all these trucks the same configuration?

Rock

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience ( and I have no experience with title issues in any state other than TN) the truck with the deceased owner is probably the most legal path. If the title is signed over to your friend, he will need to title the truck in his name and then transfer the title to you. I think swapping the VIN tag from one cab to another is a pretty bad idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the titled truck and the salvage/no title truck are both ext can long bed. The other IDI is the runner but it's a single cab and has the dead owner title.

I cannot use the cab from the titles truck as it is wreck fairly badly.
Any other ideas?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
In my experience ( and I have no experience with title issues in any state other than TN) the truck with the deceased owner is probably the most legal path. If the title is signed over to your friend, he will need to title the truck in his name and then transfer the title to you. I think swapping the VIN tag from one cab to another is a pretty bad idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I meant swap the entire cab. I would never swap VIN plates.

Rock

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm stuck then. Good title has a wrecked cab so I'm sunk. I guess I'll just have to hope for the title to come through on the other truck.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll ask again.

Which truck is the best 'base' truck?

Which will give you the best truck, with the least effort and expense?

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score