2840 John Deer

Truckie

Reaction score
I got a friend of mine that has a 2840 John Deer and he was asking me if there is any way to get a little more HP out of it. I believe it is a 1977. I told him we probably could tweak the pump by turning the screws on it. Is this true in this case?
He has also told me he see a little blue smoke coming from the stack when at idle. I’m not sure if it is oil of if it is the bluish diesel smoke you sometimes see. I have not see or checked this tractor out yet but I wanted to get some info on it.

Thanks.

Ak HDM

Reaction score
A lot of the John Deere engines have a little blue smoke at low idle, especially when cold. If the tractor has a lot of hours on it, the pump & injectors could be getting worn. Chances are it has a Stanadyne[ Roosa Master] pump.You could try turning up the fuel on it first.

Truckie

Reaction score
On this style pump how would I do this?
Also I was told by someone that this is or was one the engines John Deer had troubled with. Is that true? It is not worked every day, it is a weekend worker, so I’m not like planning on cranking the fuel all that much. We just want to get a little more hp from it.
If you or someone on here could explain how to turn up the fuel on this I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Ak HDM

Reaction score
Truckie, sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I haven't turned up one of those pumps. Maybe some one that has worked on the stanadyne pumps will chime in & help you out.