2500 van axle removal

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've got a friends van here who is visiting from out of state, that has a bad drivers side real axle bearing and seal ( Actually , It's a wonder he got here at all, that bearing is completely gone, it was rolling on the drum riding the brake shoes, that were well lubed with synthetic gear oil by that point good and hot and stinky) .
How do I go about removing the axle on that thing?
I have the brake drum off and backing plate nuts off, but this thing doesn't feel like that's all that's holding it in. Are there C clips on the axle shaft ends inside the differential on this thing or do I just need to get a slide hammer and whack on the axle flange until it comes out?

Thanks---------Robert

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
There should be C-clips holding the axle in.
Sounds like this thing is in pretty bad shape.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It had the c clips. The axle shaft is toast. The bearing had eates about 1/4 inch into it all the way around. Trying to find a new axle shaft now.

Thanks---------Robert

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It had the c clips. The axle shaft is toast. The bearing had eates about 1/4 inch into it all the way around. Trying to find a new axle shaft now.

Thanks---------Robert

Dayum they got lucky.

Run a search on www.car-part.com

I just did a quick search for a 92 G2500 (don't know what year you are working on) and came up with hundreds of axles nation wide with prices ranging from $50 - $1000

Bear in mind most salvage yards won't part something like an axle unless it's not usable as a unit. They'll want to sell the whole thing.

More info about this van and location would help us help you. Good luck.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online