2018 Oilburners Rally

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So unless my schedule changes (and it might still) it looks like I'm headed to Florida for work on the 9th. I drop my son off at Summer camp on the afternoon of the 8th about an hour from Harrisonburg.

Any of ya'll going to be in camp by then?
I could also bring some firewood if you need it assuming I am able to get up there.
Yep I’ll be there on the 7th as well.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other news, I feel you @hesutton on the outdoor kitchen. This being our first rig, I couldn’t justify the expense at the time but I’m quickly learning the value. I’m improvising.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images attach

I considered a sprayer hose out there. All the water lines are right in that corner. Maybe later. It’s a big enough line I should be able to run 2 appliances (grill, griddle, stove, etc.) at once with no sweat.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
So unless my schedule changes (and it might still) it looks like I'm headed to Florida for work on the 9th. I drop my son off at Summer camp on the afternoon of the 8th about an hour from Harrisonburg.

Any of ya'll going to be in camp by then?
I could also bring some firewood if you need it assuming I am able to get up there.

I'll be there on the 8th.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so after looking at schedules I think I'll come up on the 7th. Perhaps they still have a tent space available? If not I'll find a hotel. I'll need to leave earlyish on the 8th to take care of my son and summer camp. If I don't have to travel the 9th I'll come back up and hang out till tuesday morning otherwise I'll be saying bye bye sunday morning.

Looking forward to putting faces to names and meeting some of ya'll.

Edit** Let me know about firewood. I'll have access to plenty of it tomorrow.

Last edited:

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of you are gonna like this and I can't believe the timing of this..

We took big ernest the crew cab 7.3 to the drive ins tonight and on our way I got an awful driveline vibration. I just replaced the rear pinion yoke. I wiggled under there and nothing is loose. Carrier bearing is ok. Perhaps a u joint is seized and causing it but I popped the inspection plate off the flywheel and my dmf is... not good.. moves a decently scary amount.

I can't in good conscious try and convince autumn to take my 6.9 single cab with no ac that far.

There's no way I'm gonna make it. I cant do a flywheel and clutch period and my buddies shop cant get me in until after the rally. And who knows if I still have a driveshaft issue. Even weirder the vibrations went away entirely going from dinner to the drive in after it cooled off like maybe the vibrations were from a stuck brake, but nonetheless even if I just have a simple u joint issue I cant justify this trip with my dmf sloshing around. I'll just be happy if it holds up to get it back to my garage tonight after the movie.

I also switched jobs 6 months ago to something that's way better for me [a lot] but I only get one week of vacation earned this far so I only get one shot at a vacation before autumn and I start planning a wedding so after some thought tonight at dinner we decided its more responsible for us to go to the beach in a stupid SUV. We almost considered coming in it but the overwhelming disappointment of not being able to bring ernest would just **** me off. I've done so much painting and body and engine work to this thing and it's never let me down in 40k miles. Drove 25 miles on 7 cylinders once with the 8th spraying fuel from a crack the whole way. But destroy a flywheel and bell housing and trans just isn't worth it..

Last edited:

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow I that is a hugh bummer on the flywheel. Hope it has not damaged other parts. We will miss you and ernest.

Hey my wife Cathie is planning on bringing fresh fruit and cutting it up for the meal. Let me know if someone else is bring fruit so we can change the plan. I read the board and didn't see anyone else binging it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edit** Let me know about firewood. I'll have access to plenty of it tomorrow.

I think I’ve got firewood covered. They are picky about where it comes from so I sourced it local. I am going to confirm this weekend but I’ve got two possible options I’ve made contact with. Thanks though. I’m sure they will probably have tent space.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of you are gonna like this and I can't believe the timing of this..

We took big ernest the crew cab 7.3 to the drive ins tonight and on our way I got an awful driveline vibration. I just replaced the rear pinion yoke. I wiggled under there and nothing is loose. Carrier bearing is ok. Perhaps a u joint is seized and causing it but I popped the inspection plate off the flywheel and my dmf is... not good.. moves a decently scary amount.

I can't in good conscious try and convince autumn to take my 6.9 single cab with no ac that far.

There's no way I'm gonna make it. I cant do a flywheel and clutch period and my buddies shop cant get me in until after the rally. And who knows if I still have a driveshaft issue. Even weirder the vibrations went away entirely going from dinner to the drive in after it cooled off like maybe the vibrations were from a stuck brake, but nonetheless even if I just have a simple u joint issue I cant justify this trip with my dmf sloshing around. I'll just be happy if it holds up to get it back to my garage tonight after the movie.

I also switched jobs 6 months ago to something that's way better for me [a lot] but I only get one week of vacation earned this far so I only get one shot at a vacation before autumn and I start planning a wedding so after some thought tonight at dinner we decided its more responsible for us to go to the beach in a stupid SUV. We almost considered coming in it but the overwhelming disappointment of not being able to bring ernest would just **** me off. I've done so much painting and body and engine work to this thing and it's never let me down in 40k miles. Drove 25 miles on 7 cylinders once with the 8th spraying fuel from a crack the whole way. But destroy a flywheel and bell housing and trans just isn't worth it..

That sucks Brian but I get it. If I were a sane person, I’d never have went to KY last year when the truck broke the rocker arm a week before. If we hadn’t already planned on a chase vehicle, id have pulled the plug. We decided to go literally less than 24 hrs to departure. Great thing about the rally is there’s always next year.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear that Brian, I hope you get it straightened out.

Well, the new turbo lives! I got it fired up and everything seems ok. Unfortunately I could not take it for a drive until I get some exhaust on it. Otherwise I would melt down the ac box, and I do like my ac lol.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah if i were sane id never make it to a rally. LOL

Yeah If I were sane we'd be coming in the Wife's Jeep, but I have ulterior motives....

There's a timing meter or two at the rally, and If the wife has to put up with a week of no AC in July I might get authorized to spend the money to fix it LOL I'm going to try charging it with that aerosol "compressed air" stuff before we leave. If it doesn't hold I'll know I have to rip it apart. It's worth a shot.

I realized last night that I still haven't fixed the broken retainer for the door lock that broke so I have to fix that and the speaker wiring for the front door that I think i broke pulling the CB antenna through. I'm putting it off because it's already over 80 degrees here and it's not even 9am. There's always tomorrow lol!

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah If I were sane we'd be coming in the Wife's Jeep, but I have ulterior motives....

There's a timing meter or two at the rally, and If the wife has to put up with a week of no AC in July I might get authorized to spend the money to fix it LOL I'm going to try charging it with that aerosol "compressed air" stuff before we leave. If it doesn't hold I'll know I have to rip it apart. It's worth a shot.

I realized last night that I still haven't fixed the broken retainer for the door lock that broke so I have to fix that and the speaker wiring for the front door that I think i broke pulling the CB antenna through. I'm putting it off because it's already over 80 degrees here and it's not even 9am. There's always tomorrow lol!
Well if she complains too much she can always drive your truck and you can ride down in my truck with the A/C also if you wanted I can bring our vacuum pump and gauges along to maybe fix the ac at the rally?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if she complains too much she can always drive your truck and you can ride down in my truck with the A/C also if you wanted I can bring our vacuum pump and gauges along to maybe fix the ac at the rally?

Lol she's still not very good at driving stick yet!

It's tempting, I don't know if the compressor even runs right now. The valve core is missing so idk how much of a mess it'll end up being anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance