2005 Cummins 5.9L CR (Power vs: MPG)

CUMMINS05

Rumbling Diesel
Reaction score
Okay, so we all know that a Cummins gets better MPG with age. I am at 70,000k / 44,000miles. I have Mobil 1 Devlac in the Crank Case. Have had since 40,000k / 27,000miles.
I had the Cat removed and a High Flow straight trough muffler installed. I installed the AFE Stage 2 intake. There abouts I was running with 24 mpg US @ 68mph on highway (not ******** you). In a quest for more power & effeciency I was pulled in by Gale Banks advertisements about the Techni-Cooler system. ie: larger boost tube diameter, larger tank ends, better flow trough CAC system, high flow High Ram Intake... blah blah.

So in this order I installed the following products.

1. MBRP 5" Aluminized - Turbo Back Exhaust. (Nice)
Noticed alot more throttle response. MPG did not change (2000-3000k to test)

2. Banks Techni-Cooler system w/High Ram Intake. (Very Pretty)
Noticed alot more boost pressure - felt like when I let off on a hard acceleration like it had pressure built up. Kind of cool. Again no MPG change (1000-2000k to test)

3. Banks Six Gun w/ Speed Loader (switch not PDA) - Yeah! Lots of power not alot of Black Smoke like Edge. Even on 2 no MPG Change. ??? I remeber installing the 70 hp Edge on my 2003, noticed an increase in MPG, had a BD on my 2001, huge change in MPG.

Questions are: (Finally) :dunno
What else can I do for increased MPG? Why no MPG change with Banks Tuner? Even Still why no MPG change with the Technicooler? :backoff - Advertised that it will increase MPG. cookoo
Please offer your suggestions. (Except Moparmike91) LOL

*note, I have the Industrial Injection Super Phat Shaft 62 Silver, and a ATS 2 peice manifold sitting at the shop waiting for Moparmike91 to install.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think you are at about the most efficient state you are going to get. If you are getting 24MPG that is awesome.. I can't think of anything that would do more for, than what you have already done. Scotty

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I know that in this time of year because of winterized diesel my mileage drops but my mileage increases when they start selling "summer diesel" as I affectionally call it (number 2 diesel), I will lose around 3-4 mpg in the winter. I can gain it back pretty easy if I fill up at the truck stop (they sell number 2 diesel all year round) but if I hit the local car diesel stations because they switch over to winterized diesel (number 1 diesel) for the colder months, I'm down again - maybe you are not seeing an increase because they are selling number 1 in your area? Just a thought. but I doubt you will get more than what you are now because you have the highest MPG that i have heard of on a diesel pickup. I don't want to sound like a richard cranium but man don't complain you are getting better than I ever could - I only get 21-22 in the summer and 17-19 in the winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online