2001 Powerstroke running out of fuel.

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
I have a truck that is down right now. Its a 2001 powerstroke and the symptoms are as follows.
Driving at interstate speeds it starts to get a tremble that can be felt in the steering wheel. This gets worse and worse and the truck continues to loose power and eventually dies. You can let it sit with everything turned off for about 5 minutes and crank it back up and every thing is fine until you get to speed again and it starts this all over again.
Parts replaced so far are the electric supply fuel pump and the fuel filter.
What is going on with this thing guys? Any help you can offer is appreciated.

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
Yes, bought at the same place it always has been and all the other trucks we have get it from.

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
my Dad's 99 started some funky problems like this and it turned out to be a fuel line on the back of the block on the passenger side. it was leaking just enough to drip once or twice in the garage, never enought to make it to the floor, but could sure smell it and see it once he found it.... but I guess on the road the pressure was enough to make it leak.

how long ago did you replace the supply pump and filter, were the problems there prior to doing that?

he'll be here today and I'll get the whole skinny on that and let ya know! if not I've got a # for a shop here in IL and the head diesel mechanic is 'the man' I could hook you up w/ his # and you can tell him we (dad and I) gave you his number....

just a thought... let me know!

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
Thanks, I checked it over yesterday for any oil or fuel leaks but couldnt see any.

This problem started last Friday night and we replaced the lift pump and fuel filter yesterday.

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
anything funny with the guages? i dont know as much about powerstrokes as i do IDI's but if something was going on with oil pressure........

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
No problems with any gauges.
It just slowly starts to run out of fuel and over about a mile it evetually dies.
I wonder if maybe the high pressure oil pump is playing out?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You ought to get a code (P1211 or similar) if it is HPOP, ICP, IPR related. This sure sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Fuel tank full? Or, I wonder how the fuel pick-up line is in tank.

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
It does set the SES light, but my scan tool reads no codes when I check it.
It was about half a tank or more when I drove it. I need some way to check fuel pressure on this thing. If the fuel pressure stays good then I know to look at the HPOP. I have another identical engine sitting on a stand in the shop to rob a pump off of so whats to changing this pump if it looks more like its giving trouble?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dumb question, but is the fuel tank vent clean? I wonder if the tank might possibly be developing a vacuum?

Just a thought on something to check on... :)

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a port (1/8"-1/4" ??) on the rear side of the fule filter cannsiter. You can thread in a flexible hose and run it to a guage, you should get a liquid filled guage but its not mandatory. Run the guage up and out of the engine compartment and tie it off on the windshield wiper or mirror etc etc............. On a Super Duty you probably want around 60 PSI of fuel pressure.

The HPOP isnt hard to change either, split the HPOP reservoir with the bolts that are on the top of the reservoir, (drain reservoir first :)), and inside there you'll find the gear wheel that spins the pump, remove the set screw and then undo the lines off the back of the pump, unbolt the pump from the lower half of the resevoir and pull it out. Fuel filter canister may have to be removed to facilitate the removal of the HPOP.

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone.
The pick up tube filter in the tank was stopped up with 230,000 miles worth of crap.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
I have a buddy that is a Ford Master Diesel Tech and he told me that he has had a rash of plugged pickup tubes inside the fuel tank. My brother in law had this problem but his symptoms were very low on power.

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online