2 things Ive figured out

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my thermostat with a Motorcraft replacement, and to my horror it stil doesn't get very hot. Ive checked everything. I even turned the radiator fan to check it.. Well, it does turn but I also heard a buddy's truck and his fan sounds different. I believe my fan wont unlock when its up to operating temperature..even though it spins when turned by hand. Ergo, i believe then fan remains engaged the whole time, costing me $$$ and mileage.

2nd thing: when I view my 89 F-250 from a distance it appears the tires "lean in" sometimes and at other times they dont... Am I wrong in assuming the radius arm bushings are fixing to be toast. or could it be that my front coil springs have "taken and set" and are just worn out?

So my fellow compression combustion comrades, please give me the benefit of your experience, education and well frankly youre opinions.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After everything but my rotors/brakes was replaced on my front end just for matinence all but brand new tires not wheels still lean a little inward it's been aligned twice still boggles my mind

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's winter in Texas: Take your fan off and drive it around without one. I did for several years, never had any issues except I couldn't use the air conditioning on very hot days with the truck parked/not moving. If you see significant mileage improvements, you've found your culprit. The only catch is if you tow heavy, you will want that fan as it moves lots of air.

In regards to the camber you are seeing: the twin traction beam front ends are pretty notorious for having lots of camber when you back up and then park your truck. I've always believed that when you back up, your front axle "squats" like a drag car taking off does in the back, and with the weight of the diesel, it simply stays in a "sagged" position. If your leafs are tired this will be more pronounced.

Tire wear is the ultimate measurement: how are your tires wearing?

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The twin i-beam fronts look like that pretty often if you stop and get out after backing up. Pull in and stop and its much less pronounced. There is something in the front end that causes it to be worse, but when it got bad with one of mine and had some death wobble to go with it, I replaced everything rubber under there so I am not sure what the culprit was.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The camber can be adjusted on a TTB axel by rotating the top kingpin hole. It has an offset hole that can be moved around to change the - camber to + camber. I am not sure if - camber is top out or + camber is top out.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In regards to the camber you are seeing: the twin traction beam front ends are pretty notorious for having lots of camber when you back up and then park your truck. I've always believed that when you back up, your front axle "squats" like a drag car taking off does in the back, and with the weight of the diesel, it simply stays in a "sagged" position.

2nd on this. Exact same thing happens with the twin I Beam especially if you’ve got to cut your wheels during the reverse maneuver. If it’s been aligned and the tires don’t wear funny then it is what it is.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my tires appear to be wearing equally...but man that looks so weird!

Im starting to repair/replace parts that I need to make the truck drive-able beyond 50 miles...The engine is just hoss!!! , but i can see a IP and injector replacement coming up..

I informed the Domestic Goddess that instead of a $600.00 truck payment I would invest $$$ in a truck that is paid for and reliable....... I dont care what it looks like, I just know I can work on it and its paid for.!

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Twin ibeam twin trac, are really sensitive to toe-in. They cannot be set by a tape, not accurate enough. The specs are
The twin i-beam fronts look like that pretty often if you stop and get out after backing up. Pull in and stop and its much less pronounced. There is something in the front end that causes it to be worse, but when it got bad with one of mine and had some death wobble to go with it, I replaced everything rubber under there so I am not sure what the culprit was.
This is a product of not understanding the suspension and how critical toe in is to twin ibeam/trac. The specs are virtually 0 toe in with a little toe out still in the acceptable range. If camber is changing drastically when backing up it is a sign of excessive toe as the wheels are being pushed closer together lifting the suspension. Anyone tell you that they can set toe in with a tape has never looked at how small of range the toe in is allowed.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I informed the Domestic Goddess that instead of a $600.00 truck payment I would invest $$$ in a truck that is paid for and reliable....... I dont care what it looks like, I just know I can work on it and its paid for.!
Man, if you put $7,200 a year into one of these trucks for 5 years, you're going to have a new truck! And you can still work on it, and it's still paid for.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, if you put $7,200 a year into one of these trucks for 5 years, you're going to have a new truck! And you can still work on it, and it's still paid for.

FWIW that's the Dave Ramsey "pay for your vehicle before you buy it" plan. It's only a struggle for the first one, then you're in the habit, see the value and nobody owns your stuff if something happens. Saves you from paying the interest on a new car note as well.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW that's the Dave Ramsey "pay for your vehicle before you buy it" plan. It's only a struggle for the first one, then you're in the habit, see the value and nobody owns your stuff if something happens. Saves you from paying the interest on a new car note as well.
Aggie, I was thinking it's the Oilburners pay as you drive plan. Buy it, redo the engine one year, the transmission the next, then all the rest of the running gear, then the body, then the interior. What's left? You have a new truck, and it was paid for the whole time you were driving it.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont plan on putting $7000 on a vehicle.... Just a little here and there to keep it reliable and roadworthy.... I may spend $2k on it total but right now the pressing issues are to install a 4.10 locking rear (sitting in the garage), fix the fuel gauges, stop all the leaks of fluids, and replace the front seats and carpeting.......its a work in progress