1998 Windstar, 3G ?

royzell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a lead on the alternator from a '98 Windstar, is it a 3G, and will it fit an IDI ? I would take all the wiring harness etc that I can as well.
($35). I have about a 45 minute drive to get to it though.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the alternator for the 3.8L engine:
You must be registered for see images

And this is the alt for the 3.0L engine:
You must be registered for see images

The 3.8L alt would bolt up to your truck if you had the '92-'94 serpentine belt conversion. The 3.0L alt would boup tp your truck if you had a small-block Windsor gasser, but the IDI (7" pivot for this alt, 8.25" needed for the IDI). I'd call up the seller and ask them ho many bolts the alternator uses to attach to the engine, and if there are only two of those what's the distance between their holes (again, you need 8-1/4").

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pulley can be swapped over. Had to do that when I changed my alternator. Doesn't look like the bracketry for the 3.8L version would work though.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 3.8 alternator will not bolt up in place of your factory alternator. You need to look for an alternator from early-90s 3.8L Taurus, those have the correct large-frame case for your brackets. You'll still need to swap pulleys tho.

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
The alternator I have is from a Taurus with the 3.0. I just swapped the pulleys and have had no problems with it as of yet. It's been on there for over a year the truck was my daily driver up until 2 moths ago.