1996 F450 cranks but wont start

Omnious

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just purchased my first power stroke last weekend. It is a 96 F450 superduty with an auto trans. I drove it home 400 miles with no issues. This was wednesday of last week. Friday i started the truck, i had to crank is twice before it fired up. Before this it started immediately on the first try.

Sunday i went to use the truck and i cranked it 4 times but the truck would not start. It didnt even seem like it was attempting to start. Please help on what i should be looking at. When it comes to powerstrokes, i am a newbie. I do have experience with my 94 IDI turbo.

Thank you

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Check the oil level first.
Then check the oil level in the hpop.
Also replace the cps.
And last but not least, unplug the fuel heater, and check the pcm fuse.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Omnious

Reaction score
So i am new to the PS. How do i check the HPOP oil? What is the CPS? And where is the fuel heater located?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You will find the CPS on the passenger side front cover. 10 o'clock from the balancer.

Fuel heater is in the fuel bowl. Unplug the connector.

HPOP plug is on the drivers side top cover.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel heater is an issue because when it shorts out, it blows fuse #22 under the hood (PCM fuse). Replacing the fuse without disconnecting the heater, it will just blow again. With modern fuels, you don't need the heater, so just leave it disconnected. Clue to a blown fuse #22 - no WTS light.

CPS is the Cam Position Sensor. Tells the PCM when to tell the IDM to fire each injector. No CPS signal, no injection. Also provides the tach signal. Clue to a bad CPS - WTS light comes on, but no tach movement while cranking.

HPOP reservoir is the rectangular box on the top front of the engine. Need to remove the "Darth Vader" engine cover, if present. Fill plug is on top; not sure on a '96 if it's an allen head or 1/4" square socket. Level should be close to the top. If not, either overall oil level is low, anti-drainback valve is not working, or LPOP (main engine oil pump) is not working.

So tell us if:
* The WTS comes on
* The tach moves while cranking
* You get any tailpipe smoke while cranking

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online