1995 Oil Filter Leak

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So tell me why some Ford 1995 oil filters leak from the gasket area no matter how tight I install them. I follow the standard installation practice of turning them the 3/4 turn past just touching but some leak and some don't. I use a very small amount of Delo 400 on the gasket and not grease like it always says to. Am I missing something guys...:confused: :confused:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
iirc-
its 1 full turn. dunno for sure. if it leaks, I just tighten it up more. never had one sieze up on me before.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Towcat. I have done just that before. I even have tightened them up so much that I really had a tuff time getting them off. I don't use a wrench to tighten them or to remove them. They are tight when I try to remove them. I always check the gaskets too. Once I bought a Fram filter for my big block chevy only to find the gasket missing. So now I remove EVERY filter from the box and really check it out. I never have found a damaged gasket.... Just one missing gasket.-cuss

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
if you cant get a good seal with the filters i am willing to bet the base is the culperite. if you have this same problem with a bunch of filters the base is the constant in the equation. could possibly be a good scratch across the sealing surface or it could be warped. i have aslo heard of castings being pourus enough to let fluids seep through them around gaskets.

i have an old jeep i cant keep sealed i swear little gremlins pour oil on my engine to torture me.-cuss

tuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't use a wrench to tighten them or to remove them.

Alls I know is I tighten mine as tight as I can with one hand then put the wrench on it and give it 1/2 to 3/4 turn. Never had and issue of leaks or getting them of either.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The housing is new and I checked it for flatness before I installed it. I know this is the constant but... I've had this problem on my other 7.3 motor. What I probably will do is use a wrench to tighten them. I just don't seem to be able to find one when I need one. :rolleyes:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
sounds like you covered my suggestions already:confused: .......the only other thing i could possibly think of is if it is actually the other connections seeping down to the filter. the seals on these filters are set up well and shouldent take much pressure to seal properly.

you arent running 40psi through that thing are you:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the filter head. I have 3 trucks, 2 6.9's and a 7.3. One of the 6.9's leak, and the other two never do. I know it can't be the filter.