1994 Ford Cummins conversion

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A shop that's not taking you for a ride should be able to build you a 47RH/RE/48RE with a billet single disc converter and all the upgrades except cryo'd shafts for under $2K.

I would not recommend tackling a dodge overdrive automatic unless you have experience with them. They're a great tranny, straightforward to work on when you're familiar with them, but they have some tricks, especially in the OD section (the part that fails).

Mudbillyrednec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have another ?

Do you use the fuel pump and return lines from the ford tanks ?

And how did you regulate fuel pressure ?

Sorry for all the newbie questions.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's carb, 6.9 or 7.3 there isn't much to worry about, just a return line to the tank. If it's EFI I leave everything in the tanks if the pumps work and knock the guts out of the fill necks. I install a jumper wire from the ground side of the fuel pump relay to ground, this will make the fuel pump(s) run any time the key is on. I don't regulate the pressure, instead I do it simpler (firm believer in KISS), what I prefer to do is build a simple 4 way fuel line intersection with brass fittings right off the lift pump inlet and connect both the supply and return lines into this.

The 4 way setup can be done anyway you like, but the design idea is that the supply line feeds straight into the lift pump the supply lines are BELOW the return lines and there is a small restriction orifice between the supply and return sections, say 3/32"-1/8". This setup simply supplies the lift pump with a small amount of head pressure that can't overpressurize the system. Also, because the supply is on the bottom, any air bubbles will go up or stay up and get returned to the tank instead of recirculated.

It is still easiest to use diesel tanks and lines, but the electric fuel pumps actually make troubleshooting and bleeding the fuel system really nice and easy. I've done many 90's gas fords like this and haven't had any issue with the fuel system. These fuel pumps aren't known for being the most reliable, but I have a feeling they actually like pumping diesel more than gasoline.

Also, the hard plastic EFI fuel lines can be reused, you don't need to gut them out. They work on standard hose barb fittings by heating with a heat gun and pushing on. Use a hose clamp though. I leave the EFI fuel filter in the lines. They're pretty cheap (cheaper than the cummins filters), decent size for a mild cummins and filter decently.

Mudbillyrednec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually pulled my donor motor today and was woundering ?

If I could ask you for a pic of the fuel 4-way you mentioned ?

And, Do the dodge powersteering lines work on the ford steering gear box, or is there a trick to this ???

Thanks for all the help in this thread ;Sweet

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, no pics of the fittings. You can do it however you want as long as you keep the basic principles in mind that air bubbles go up and and an 1/8" or smaller orifice will keep plenty of head pressure on the lift pump/IP.

The dodges use saginaw pumps. Ford E-series vans all use saginaw pumps (tenfold better than ford built pumps). If the hose ends are different use the pressure regulator from an E-series saginaw pump for the correct pressure fitting and use van or truck pressure hoses.

I actually prefer to machine my own saginaw pressure regulator with a JIC fitting on it, tap the steering valve and hydrobbost for NPT and run JIC adapters so I can make my own much better power steering hoses and route them how I please. The trick though is that JIC fittings will tend to leak more than o-ring and double flare SAE PS fittings so I use copper crush washers in the JIC fittings for a leak free seal.

Also, if you are contemplating switching to hydroboost you can eliminate the dodge vacuum pump and run just a saginaw pump by buying one from a 4BT breadvan application, these are common ebay pieces. You will still need a small vacuum source to run the heater controls in an 80+ ford, but this can be done with a tiny electric vacuum pump.

Mudbillyrednec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bother you again, I tried to PM and it didnt work ???

I'm taking your advise and replacing my 727 with a used(rebuilt) 47RH...the owner bought the truck wrecked with a 1 week old trans in it....

He swears it's a 95 but I was woundering ......

How can you tell what your buying, when it's already out of vehicle ??

I'm paying $600 for this trans, and want to make sure "It is...what it's supposd to be "

Any distint markings, casting #'s or things to look for in the valve body, to determine what it is ?

If it turns out to be a 93 or 96 am I screwed with my 1990 12v ford crew swap ???

Thanks for the wisdom....

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The A518 only has a two pin VB electrical connector. The 47RH has a 3 pin connector.

The VB connector is vertical, the PRDNDL switch is the horizontal one.

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet truck i have the exact same truck but still has the idi in it. I'm looking for a Cummins now but here in Texas people are high and want way too much money for something that doesn't even run