1994 F350 idi..... with a gear vendor o/d and an exhaust brake

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Even if I could do without having 4x4, a transfer case would absolutely be needed for me, as the first and reverse ratios in the manuals in these trucks is a joke. (when actually used as a truck)
I couldn't agree more with that...99 percent of the time, I use low range for reverse and I use 1st and 2nd low every day. Try backing up a hay wagon with 3.55s in 2hi reverse....by by clutch......
My crew cab had a new clutch put in 5k miles before I bought...the folks burned out the clutch in the last 1k miles from slipping it real bad backing up and hill starting a stock trailer in high (also 3.55s)...
If you have low gear use it.
As far as I am concerned, there's no such thing as too low a gear..
I daily drive my trucks, but they're hauling/towing something everyday..i

If I cared about being cool I wouldn't be driving an IDI anyhow..lol

Rock

Last edited:

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
99% of my driving on on pavement, yeah there have been a few times maybe a 4x4 would have been good, like Hwy 50 (west of Lake Tahoe) going over Echo Summit when it snows. 4x4 ok, if not have to chain up. Some times even 4x4 have to chain up if icy enough. Summit is almost 7500ft and steep and 2 lane.
There have been 4 times in the last 8 years I had to throw on the cables to get over the hill. Only takes 5 minutes.

I can not see having a 4x4 for daily driving, (except to be cool) and getting lower mileage.

Goat
Old Goat,

Been there too, but up in Big Bear and Arrow head. I skied a lot in my 20’s and 30’s. Steep, windy, and icy can still put a 4x4 in a spin or sliding during braking. Since CA does not use salt, rather charcoal or sand, it can get slippery if icy days after a storm.

For those of you in states that salt, the charcoal and sand do not melt the ice till the sun hits the sand and charcoal and heats it up. Flip side is our trucks don’t rust out from the salt.

I find cables are light and easy to put on. But chains to me track much better on slush and ice, so I use chains. I take a small roller Jack, rain suit, gloves, and chain tensioners too. The Jack makes putting on chains so much easier. (Just make sure the e-brake is on if on a hill.) Do one side at a time. The rain suit keeps me clean and fairly dry.

Now the days that it snows and you track, it is nice to pass all those people with 2wd who are required to chain up! Many times had to hold the chains up and show the CHP I was packing!

Last edited:

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in NV. in the winter you are required to carry Chains even if you drive a 4x4.
You can be ticketed for not having them.

Couple winters back, Maybe 3, we headed over to Ca.... went up 88, then cut over 89 to 50.
At the 88/89 junction it is 7K ft. and dry powdery snow, my better judgement said, put on the cables. AH heck we`ll be fine, 88 goes up to 8K ft, then a long windy down grade to 50..... and a puckery drive for sure.
At Myers 50/89 junction Caltrans has Chain control. So now iam in the wet slushy snow putting on the cables, with the crap dripping on me from under the truck.
I keep a blue HF tarp behind the seat in the winter to stay semi dry.

Cables are easier to install than Chains for sure. 4x4 would be easier to just move a stick, and off ya go.

I worked for Caltrans for 37 yrs, so ya, they do use salt. well we did in our crew the area I worked.
Never used charcoal, but a lot of sand.

Here in NV., NDOT uses brine, they coat the roads in the white crap when there is any mention of snow.

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Here in NV., NDOT uses brine, they coat the roads in the white crap when there is any mention of snow.
They do the same thing here in Kansas too. The biggest issues that I can see with the brine is that it seems to wash away pretty quickly. If it just snows, there usually isn't much issue. If it rains and then turns to snow, there doesn't seem to be much melting going on.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have thought of the rain washing it off also, but usually it does not last long before turning into snow, and the freezing nights. We are at the 5260ft level and goes up from there.
I know you get snow and freezing also in the flat lands of Ks. But...summer is on it`s way...yeah!!! 76 next 3 days so far.

I learned early on, not to drive in a lane that is wet when everything else is dry. That is fresh wet Brine.

Goat

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Here in NV. in the winter you are required to carry Chains even if you drive a 4x4.
You can be ticketed for not having them.

Couple winters back, Maybe 3, we headed over to Ca.... went up 88, then cut over 89 to 50.
At the 88/89 junction it is 7K ft. and dry powdery snow, my better judgement said, put on the cables. AH heck we`ll be fine, 88 goes up to 8K ft, then a long windy down grade to 50..... and a puckery drive for sure.
At Myers 50/89 junction Caltrans has Chain control. So now iam in the wet slushy snow putting on the cables, with the crap dripping on me from under the truck.
I keep a blue HF tarp behind the seat in the winter to stay semi dry.

Cables are easier to install than Chains for sure. 4x4 would be easier to just move a stick, and off ya go.

I worked for Caltrans for 37 yrs, so ya, they do use salt. well we did in our crew the area I worked.
Never used charcoal, but a lot of sand.

Goat
Goat,

My buddy remarried about 12 years ago up in Tahoe in the winter time. We flew into Reno and took the 50 over to Tahoe. It ended up snowing that day and the mountain was slick. I rented a 4wd Chevy Tahoe but had no chains. As we got 2/3 up the mountain folks in smaller cars started to just spin more than track. I see a plow truck was getting ready to turn and go my direction. So I slowed down and flashed him to cut in front of me. Followed him to the summit (He pulled off.) and was not worried about the brine/salt because it was a rental. But it made for a easy less stressful drive.

In SoCal I have never seen them salt or brine the snow up in the mountains. (Or stock pile it On the side of the roads.) I was told by a CHP CA does not salt. (Guess he was wrong.) Been up to Mammoth, Mountain Center, and Palomar/Julian during and after it snows and never seen them drop salt. You could see the charcoal since it was black. If sunny it would start to melt down into the ice like salt but at night it just gave a little traction. The sand gave some traction but did not do as much to melt it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online

No members online now.