1994 7.3 IDIT rebuild

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
So I finally have some time to start getting this engine stripped down. This is an engine I bought and hadn't heard run. It's a factory turbo and its complete and the turbo and everything externally looks to be in good shape.

However , I found this laying in the oil pan, and when I pulled number 8 glow plug, it was very oily. Have you guys ever seen what I believe to be the oil ring come out and lay in the pan like this? Also, there was some other debris, but I dont yet know what it is. I haven't gotten any further today.

You must be registered for see images attach

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
That’s an interesting failure, you may have a broken piston, either way I wouldn’t run it without tearing it down and finding out what’s going on.

I agree. I decided to go ahead and pull the heads, I'm gonna send the block and crank to my machine shop next week to get checked and cleaned.

@Thewespaul , I have a question. I really dont think this engine has ever been apart. Seems everything is original as I pull it apart, but I'm curious. The intake manifold bolts are all the same EXCEPT the rear 2 on the passenger side. Is that normal? All the other bolts are head and washer, the 2 rear odd ones are flanged heads. Thought it was sorta strange, but maybe its normal.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like part of the oil ring, don't think I have ever seen that happen. The pieces are probably part of the piston on the pin side. will be interesting to see what you find. Post pictures.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen it once before, but this wasn’t in a stock engine.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I’ve seen it once before, but this wasn’t in a stock engine.
Oh now you're just bragging!:cheers: Those other pieces are very small when compared to the spring from the oil ring. They also don't appear to be thick enough to be part of the piston. I'm guessing they're pieces of old vale seal(s) that got brittle and broke. They just ended up inside the oil pan from falling down through the oil drain back holes in the heads. I'd bet that they're plastic, not aluminum.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh now you're just bragging!:cheers: Those other pieces are very small when compared to the spring from the oil ring. They also don't appear to be thick enough to be part of the piston. I'm guessing they're pieces of old vale seal(s) that got brittle and broke. They just ended up inside the oil pan from falling down through the oil drain back holes in the heads. I'd bet that they're plastic, not aluminum.
Nope its all ring land and compression rings left from the shop trucks last engine. If you look closely at the pistons you can see where the ring lands are missing.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. I decided to go ahead and pull the heads, I'm gonna send the block and crank to my machine shop next week to get checked and cleaned.

@Thewespaul , I have a question. I really dont think this engine has ever been apart. Seems everything is original as I pull it apart, but I'm curious. The intake manifold bolts are all the same EXCEPT the rear 2 on the passenger side. Is that normal? All the other bolts are head and washer, the 2 rear odd ones are flanged heads. Thought it was sorta strange, but maybe its normal.

Ive seen this on several IDIT engines, its normal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online