1993 f350 zd9's dead in 10 months

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
so i replaced my glow plugs around 10 months ago paid good money for a full set of motorcraft zd9's.

truck did great of along while then around the mid/end of summer i had harder starts then about last month i noticed very short glow times even with the colder temps.

so i got 2 plugs all i could afford at the time and tested my plugs found exactly two bad ones !!! how lucky is that so i replaced them glow time went up with slightly better starts for two days then glow time went back down and harder starts.

re tested out of 8 including the two new 4 bad so i called up speedway autoparts they warrantied all 8 even the two i already paid for

so i installed 8 new berus today starts are ok still takes like 15+ seconds the motor turned over 320k yesterday so i cant expect it to be perfect but ive got 2 new optima yelllow top battries good wires and a brand new db electrical gear reduction starter and i have no air intrusions with my carrier electric lift pump plumbed in parrel with my mechanical lift pump and ive got a third battery in the bed a 850 cca something-another

im thinking low compression is probably a factor here so im going to start trying to clean up the rings with small doses of seafoam over the course of a few months to slowly break down any coking from running high percentages of waste oil

also im going to do a manual bypass on my glow plug controller because im not sure why my zd9's burned out so quick and iwant to make sure the controller isnt at fault which i know isnt common with the 7.3 system but i guess theres always a chance.

any ideas thoughts or otherwise.... sorry kinda a long winded rant

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Seth I wonder if your controller may be going tango uniform killing the GP's.:dunno

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
thats what i wonder as well will 100% waste oil coating the glow plugs burn them out like when they get coked the film on them letting them get too hot.... idk seems like it dosent start much better with 8 working glow plugs as apposed to only like 4 working ones maybe my controller isnt putting out enough power

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
It can't be good for them long term.
IIRC there was a discussion some time back on acceptable limits of WMO that manufacturers specified could be run in particular engines.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Well you heard my truck at the mini rally its never been a good starter after you timmed it its better but shortly after the glow time went down im going to test the whole system this weekend I just started it an hour ago it started better still 5 or 6 revolutions

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought you could turn the fuel way up and /or the timing, and makes it ******* the glowpugs?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Too far advanced timing will erode the tips of the GP's.
In Seth's case his pump and injectors are very tired but have enough life left in them tho.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Ya ron I just wonder if its more of a compression issue plus I've got a miss that I atrribute to a bad injector like I said I can't expect perfection but id like more than a year. Out of a set of glow plugs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726