1993 7.3idi sounds like a exhaust manifold cracked when it gets warm.

Fatography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving south into Baja over the weekend and I could hear what sounded like a small exhaust leak. When I let off it almost sounds like my V10 did when it would shoot a spark plug out. I parked it for a few days and when I drove back it did the same thing. When I got home I looked everywhere for an issue. I can't find any cracks. I drove it this morning and it was totally fine. What can cause something like this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It very well may be a crack, although cranked exhaust is not common. Most times exhaust cracks worsen with temperature change, so you may only have an "active" crack at a certain engine exhaust temp. Try dropping your Y-pipe or up pipes and restricting the exhaust outlet while another person looks for the leak. Hold your breath! LOL

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've heard you can use a pencil torch or plumbers torch to find leaks.
I guess the flame will flicker.

Never tried it though.

Should be able to see soot.

Fatography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. It turns out my truck was 7 quarts low on oil. We checked it like 5 times before the dipstick came up dry. Good news is, the lifters don't work without oil so problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek: Impossible to be that low and still run. But real happy it was an easy fix...:thumbsup: How often do you lift the hood and look things over. If my rig sits for 2 or three days I will lift the hood just to make sure no neighbors cats are sleeping in there. I don't want to be washing flung cat parts from under the hood. Might want to change the oil now too because the low oil condition causes metal to scrub of parts and fill the oil filter. At least change the oil filter so ita not plugged up and your running on bypass oil going around the filter and not thru it. Dirty oil is much better than no oil but its dirty too.

Fatography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just checked the oil a week ago, but I was in a hurry and I must have swiped the dipstick tube or something. Stupid move on my part. We put 5 quarts of oil and 2 quarts Lucas Oil additive. I am going to run it for the next 4 days and then do a complete service on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan to service the rig. Usually whats the oil change intervals and do you haul heavy or just drive it easy. Most use 3000 miles for oil changes but thats kind of early. I have stayed close to 3000 miles on my changes and the Blackstone oil analysis show I can go much farther between changes. Thats nice information to know. Someday I will have a Frantz bypass oil filtration filter on this engine. Then we will see whats happening over the long haul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online