1989 7.3idi n/a hard hot start/no start when warm??

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel level gauge doesn’t work and truck starts running out of fuel at around 13 gal used. 130miles or so give or take so maybe problems inside of tank at fuel pickup????
13 gal I think is about right for the front tank
Before I replaced my injectors I was getting less than 9mpg.
So you probably shouldn't plan on 130 miles.
And definitely make sure you have at least 1/2 tank while trouble-shooting.
Better yet...run a hose from your lifter pump straight into a jug of fuel and see how she runs. Then you might know if you're sucking air before the lifter pump or not.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Fuel level gauge doesn’t work and truck starts running out of fuel at around 13 gal used. 130miles or so give or take so maybe problems inside of tank at fuel pickup????
Yes. The tank is about 18 gallons. 3/4 of 18 gallons is 13.5 gallons. They will run out of fuel at about 1/4 tank if the pickup in the tank has fallen off.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Hello everybody this is my first post on there and this is my first idi. I got it awhile ago did injector return lines and o-rings because I had air intrusion, would stall when cold and would crank long before finally starting. Also the fuel is turned up 2 flats in the ip.

The problem I’m having is that it starts and runs but feels kinda sluggish and probuces white smoke instead of black smoke under heavy acceleration, went out for a drive the other day and ran fine, but I got to my destination shut truck off, 10min pass get in truck to leave and it just cranks and cranks no smoke no nothing. Next morning I go out and the truck fires right up, any suggestions??

I’ was thinking of replacing the lift pump
and filling new fuel filter with sea foam? Maybe putting some atf in the fuel tank I’m not really sure any suggestions would be appreciated thanks.
Gwhise,

Welcome to oil burners!

The the members have already shared a common sign of a failing injection pump (IP). A truck that is not starting when hot but it will start when cold. So the water trick is to cool off your IP so you can test the IP. If hot = no start. Pour room temp water on the IP and re-test. Test = a start, likely a IP on its way out.

Now the white smoke often has to do with timing.

1) So check that the IP advance solenoid is not getting +12v power once the engine is say +130*. It is the electrical connector closest to the front window on the top area of the IP. It should only get power when the engine is under 120*. If it stays advanced it will cause some smoke issues.

2) If you find your truck does start fine when hot
, is still sluggish, and smokes white I suggest you check your timing. You will need to find a member near you on the “Timing Registry“ thread in the Tech Article section. They offer to help you time for free or a small fee. Or you can buy a meter and do it your self. If you change your IP or Injectors you need to re-time your truck.

You can learn more about timing equipment and how to time your truck in this tech article.

Let us know what you find out next.

Also attach some pics!

Gwhise

Reaction score
Gwhise,

Welcome to oil burners!

The the members have already shared a common sign of a failing injection pump (IP). A truck that is not starting when hot but it will start when cold. So the water trick is to cool off your IP so you can test the IP. If hot = no start. Pour room temp water on the IP and re-test. Test = a start, likely a IP on its way out.

Now the white smoke often has to do with timing.

1) So check that the IP advance solenoid is not getting +12v power once the engine is say +130*. It is the electrical connector closest to the front window on the top area of the IP. It should only get power when the engine is under 120*. If it stays advanced it will cause some smoke issues.

2) If you find your truck does start fine when hot
, is still sluggish, and smokes white I suggest you check your timing. You will need to find a member near you on the “Timing Registry“ thread in the Tech Article section. They offer to help you time for free or a small fee. Or you can buy a meter and do it your self. If you change your IP or Injectors you need to re-time your truck.

You can learn more about timing equipment and how to time your truck in this tech article.

Let us know what you find out next.

Also attach some pics!
Thanks for the help, I will be testing for power there tomorrow, and look into the timing situation, something tells me with what everyone has said so far I may be looking into injectors or an ip anyway. That’s ok though because I have a zf5 sitting in my garage ready to swap in just need to park the dang thing for a while. Will update you all when I have news

Attachments

• B24139E4-4B35-46F8-9E56-5B96BBE5AA81.jpeg
    B24139E4-4B35-46F8-9E56-5B96BBE5AA81.jpeg
    632.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 0F228206-6921-43C8-B473-50272A1CAF70.jpeg
    0F228206-6921-43C8-B473-50272A1CAF70.jpeg
    759.6 KB · Views: 9
  • AB6F2F59-A7B1-4420-8520-9B7C8A55F4C2.jpeg
    AB6F2F59-A7B1-4420-8520-9B7C8A55F4C2.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 11
  • E14E8C8E-5633-4AC4-837F-219AAF9E70F3.jpeg
    E14E8C8E-5633-4AC4-837F-219AAF9E70F3.jpeg
    590.9 KB · Views: 11
  • DB326AA2-EC5D-4CF7-BBED-5E36783831CB.jpeg
    DB326AA2-EC5D-4CF7-BBED-5E36783831CB.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 10

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adjusting the IP in the two ways I suggested only takes a few minutes. And it's free...

Gwhise

Reaction score
Adjusting the IP in the two ways I suggested only takes a few minutes. And it's free...
I can do that but I don’t think that it will do anything. Problem feels like it’s getting less fuel without there being anything done to it. Turned the fuel up in this think when I got it about a year ago and it’s ran like a ***** ape as far as I can tell, up until about a two weeks ago.

Minuteman96

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I will be testing for power there tomorrow, and look into the timing situation, something tells me with what everyone has said so far I may be looking into injectors or an ip anyway. That’s ok though because I have a zf5 sitting in my garage ready to swap in just need to park the dang thing for a while. Will update you all when I have n
Wow, that’s my brothers old truck. What a small world man. He used to haul loads with that thing in highschool and I tried to talk him out of letting it go lol. That’s cool.

Minuteman96

Reaction score
I can do that but I don’t think that it will do anything. Problem feels like it’s getting less fuel without there being anything done to it. Turned the fuel up in this think when I got it about a year ago and it’s ran like a ***** ape as far as I can tell, up until about a two weeks ago.
You’d be surprised what bad timing does to it. I’m also dealing with a lack of power problem on my truck.

papadiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody has mentioned the fuel shut off in the top of the injector pump over the years I have seen that create a new store start after it being warm they are not super expensive to replace and not much time but you wanna get a good quality one, this of course is if when you were cranking it you have no color of any kind coming out of the tailpipe or another words no fuel

Joezam

Reaction score
DO NOT under any circumstance put cold water on the IP, it will freeze up. I believe your IP is tired and needs replacement, personal experience many years ago with my 92

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well sadly it sounds like a dying injection pump when it does the hot no start poor cool water over back of pump aka section where the steal lines are if starts its a dead tattle tail the pump is dying and the cool water trick will only work a few times so do not think that will get you thru its a diagnosing trick not a temporary fix as the thermal shock method is also bad but is okay to use to diagnose the source of the issue.

Gwhise

Reaction score
Wow, that’s my brothers old truck. What a small world man. He used to haul loads with that thing in highschool and I tried to talk him out of letting it go lol. That’s cool.
No way! When did he have it im interested to know a little more.

Gwhise

Reaction score
UPDATE: I have been daily driving the truck for the last week trying to recreate the no hot start problem up until today.

Got home and truck was at operating temp, let sit for maybe ten min went to start it up again and nothing. Grabbed a bottle of room temp water and poured over top of ip.

Truck instantly started after doing this, and this problem reoccurred 4times in a row. Would park truck warm and no start, dump water on ip and fires right up.

In conclusion I will be looking into a new injection pump and will get on the timing reg and find someone nearby. My only question now is will I be able to drive the truck after ip is replaced before timing is done? Or do I have to replace ip and time before it will run again because I live in Sacramento and closest person to me is in marysville I believe.

Please let me know thank you all very much for pointing me in the correct direction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online