1993 7.3 IDI Turbo won't start, turns over

7pt3dieselguy

Reaction score
1993 turbo idi - turns over, won't start. Vancouver, WA ( N. of Portland, OR )
Batteries on Charger ( Fully charged ),
Starter only 6 months old, ( Turns over fast when batt's charged ),
Fuel is getting to the filter. ( Checked at Schrader valve, and drain )
Block heater was on for 3 Hours yesterday AND Oil Pan heat. Still no start.

I suspect water in the fuel due to the high humidity ( rain ) in the last several days and low fuel tanks on near / sub freezing nights. Added some Howes Yellow stuff, and one can of Iso Heet to tank after earlier rough start earlier this week.

Will crack the injector lines open to make sure fuel is getting to injectors.

Any thoughts / comments / suggestions ?

rocketdeere

Reaction score
you check glow plug? or master glow plug relay? guy i bought mine from he ran into same problem and got used relay from junk yard and it worked.. still runs today.. just a thought not sayin thats it

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Is the FSS (fuel shut off solenoid) clicking when you turn the key on? Turn the ignition on, go to the front of the motor and oull the plug off the back of the pump. It should click. Touch the wire back on the plug it came off of and it should click again....verify this is working.

Is that checks out, make sure you have 8 working glow plugs. Take a test light, clip the end onto the positive post of a battery. Unplug each GP and touch the end of it with the test light. If it lights up, the plug should fire and get warm. CHeck each plug one by one (I know it's a PITA with a turbo model, but take your time and check all 8 plugs)

When you know the plugs are ok...does the WTS light come on? If it does, verify 12V at the glow plugs themselves. Clip the lead of a test light on a ground or negative post of a battery. Have someone turn the key on (or push the button if you have a manual plug controller) and touch the other end of the test light on the GP wire harness.

Then, like you said, make sure you have fuel at the injectors by backing off the nuts on the lines at the injectors.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I would guess that if you are cranking fine with two charged batteries, and the block heater was plugged in for 3 hours, it should have at least TRIED to light off...unless it was 50 below outside!!

I am going to say that the injector caps/return lines have a leak or the pump has a problem. But first verify that everything I mentioned above is working before you go too deep. Usually it's something stupid that causes the most headaches!!

7pt3dieselguy

Reaction score
1993 IDI Turbo won't Start

Will Check With Voltmeter.

Have Cracked open 5 of the 8 injector lines. Believe it or not it actually Tried to start on 3 cylinders. ( 11:30am ) I then reconnected the other five I could get to and tried to start it again.( 12:20 pm) This time it did not try to run even though all 8 are connected.

Fuel is getting to the injectors ( at least five of them ) when cranking.

Glow Plugs seem to be working ( notice voltage drop when waiting on key start )
( WTS light ) and Volt meter hooked up to cigarette lighter.

Block Heater and Oil Pan heater are plugged in. Second can of Iso Heet added to both tanks.

BEFORE cracking open Injector lines - no leaks noted - top of engine dry

When a Friend gets here, I will replace the fuel filter with new and fresh diesel - noticed some diesel fuel on the bottom of the cast wheel ( drain ) when checking to make sure it was tight.

Batteries are 1,000 CA, 850 CCA, and on a 6 amp Charger.

7pt3dieselguy

Reaction score
7.3 IDI Turbo 1993 - Now Running . . .

Got it running - probable cause seems to be air leak on the bottom of the filter ( drain ) will replace with new filter today and see if she starts tomorrow.

Thank You for the suggestions. I will check all individual glow plugs - I do know via the cigarette lighter voltage meter that the glow plug relay is working.

I did check the front plug to the ip and it did click when I disconnected and reconnected it. glow plug relay clicks like crazy when trying to start it.

I think it was replaced when I had the motor transplanted.

Thank You to all who made suggestions.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got her goin!! It sounded like air in teh system somewheres.....it's the simplest things that cause the worse PITA's lol