1992 F250HD dually conversion questions.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a Dodge 1 ton on 40 by 1450 tires get stuck on wet pavement in four wheel drive because it's front tire was over a curb. One instance does not a characteristic make. Nor does bad driving indicate a Vehicles total traction.

I will certainly agree however that a pair of 285 / 75 / 16 tires will be cheaper than a rear end swap

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good compromise in form of a locker is a selectable but as to the Op.s original concern it is not really cost-effective looking at at least over a grand if all you do is the locker.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I have seen dually trucks get stuck in wet grass. I agree on the wider single rear wheel system as being the best cost/performance solution. If you need any more traction, move the load forward and put more weight on the tongue.
On the flip side, I've had a 2wd dually in places I've seen half ton 4x4's need to lock.
Knowing how to drive goes a long ways...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Reactions: BR3

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a Detroit truetrac in my 10.25. It is a million times better than an open diff but I have had it in a few situations where a locker would’ve been better. If I was rich I would’ve went selectable, if I never towed I would’ve went with a locker. Over all I’m happy with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrassBandit

Reaction score
I pipeline for a living in northern Alberta. Every welding truck I have ever owned is a dually. I've spent literally a few years of my life driving on ice roads. The only time I have ever had my truck stuck is when it's buried to the frame and the wheels no longer are touching anything. The secret is good tires and weight in the back. I know lots of guys that run single wheel setups as well but duals have more pros than cons. Stability, weight distribution, the ability to drive 200+ km out of the bush with 2 flat tires and not wreck anything.

The only real crappy part about duals is getting mud and ice packed in the rims. I've spent hours after a job just cleaning out my duals so I could drive highway speeds without punching out my own teeth .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726