1992 7.3 bad valve guide and two burned valves NEED HELP.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
After 325,000 miles, I would hardly call that severe damage. Those valves could be reused after a grind, I'll bet. I'm talking a piece of valve missing that looks like a slice of pie, that didn't break off. THAT is a burned valve. Our engines are good for mechanical damage, what with close operating proximity of the pistons and valves, but we freak out at EGT temps of 1250 F, which don't even get the attention of the stainless valves. I'm calling burned valves out as a nonstarter in diagnosis. Broken something, probably.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah, I was surprised they had any damage at all the truck ran so well......... but, after seeing some missing aluminum on the piston crowns........... I bet she'd seen some higher EGT's in her life. With my plans for it, I replaced them with Stellite faced valves.

Heath

Exekiel69

Reaction score
shoot them down with about 3 light coats of spray Hylomar for a leak free installation, and hit the intake runners of the valley pan gasket with that stuff as well

I always wonder about this, does it work on all head gaskets? Do You spray everything with it or leave something out? Would You mind to specify which type exactly. I'm gathering tools and parts for a future head gasket project and would like to use this if it helps. After 3 coats of the stuff, does it still make sense to torque down to the same #'s?

Btw, to stay on topic, if at all possible avoid running the engine until the problem is addressed, the potential for further damage is great.

idi_man

rookie
Reaction score
i feel a little more comfortable about driving it now. i am getting a rebuilt head from goose and i will visit the other one when it gives me a problem. due to a lack of money (don't we all got that) i should be able to finish it on a sunday with a case of blue ribbon and a friend right?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm well I guess that job could take one full day if you don't run into any problems, but that is uncommon in my opinion. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I would prepare yourself for that job taking a little longer than a day because small problems can add up fairly quickly.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
If you go as far as taking one head off, you may as well take the other off. You already have everything off needed, ie intake, injection pump and lines etc... At they very least, you will have a new head gasket in there.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^Agreed. It may be cheaper in the long run to just go ahead and take care of both heads while everything is apart. It will definitely be alot less work for you to do a complete upper rebuild than one cylinder head at a time.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I truely understand the cost of doing one head or two heads but.. If you need to go in again shortly after doing the one head your going to need another valley pan gasket for the intake. No matter what, when your in there check everything closely. Roll the pushrods on a piece of glass or mirror to see if they are bent. Check the rocker areas for wear on both ends. Be sure to place each pushrod in a special location for two reasons. They have a top and bottom ball differance. One is hardened and the other is not. The hard end touches the rocker. Sometimes its copper in color or there is a center punch mark near the top ball. The other reason is you want the same rocker to match up with the pushrod.i

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your head gaskets are sticky I would not spray them with anything. I'm not a fan of hylomar on the head gaskets. All headgaskets are coated with a sealer that will stick with heat cycles.
Except that bleu crap felpro uses. dont like those, too hard to seal up small imperfections.
Some will flame me on this but when you get to over 50 overhauls on these engines, then we can argue. LOL

My engine has seen 15 lbs boost and 250 on the temp gauge when the water pump let go, and no sealers or failure , yet.

idi_man

rookie
Reaction score
I know this thread is YEARS OLD but I had both heads rebuilt, finished the truck learned a lot then wrecked it a week later!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search tech 101 amd follow along to the post mortem of my blown engine due to valve related issues.

Cracked block...bent rod...head nfg....etc

Dont drive it!

idi_man

rookie
Reaction score
A little late on the update. LOL

That stinks man.

Heath

I haven't been on here in a while because I've been driving Nissan pickup since then but I had the opportunity to trade my Nissan pickup for an 89 E350 with a 16 foot two axle landscape trailer to tow my mud truck on and I got a company truck so I made the deal once I can get past all the little issues I will enjoy driving this very much

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the E - series an IDI?

Hate that your first rig was wrecked, hope you were OK.

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight