1990 7.3L not charging, what's this melted connector?

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i ended up getting a 1990 7.3L no turbo for now. I cant believe how easily it started up. It sat for 4 months before i looked at it, the batteries were dead but he jumped it and it fired right up, just like in the video i took of me first starting it once i put new batteries in it. It has a complete Jasper reman in it with about 60k. I know, everyone hates them, but it seems to run well.

Anyway, whats this melted connector and the disconnected wire from what i assume is the voltage regualtor? How easily can i change the front accessories over to a serpentine setup? I have two complete sets of serpentine accessories but i'll just need a 7.3l non turbo balancer right? I only ask because i have a brand new 250 amp alternator and R134 AC compressor, i can swap in a 134 condenser too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foKwsQHGwkg

Attachments

• IMAG0816.jpg
    IMAG0816.jpg
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0815.jpg
    IMAG0815.jpg
    979.7 KB · Views: 28

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sure looks like the main engine harness connector to me.
I very much dislike a charging system that's incorporated into the engine wiring.
yours should be separate. but maybe one of those wires goes to the voltage regulator?

its 2016, get a internally regulated alternator, delete your voltage regulator, and run that 160A right to the batteries.
can also do a 3g but I believe you gotta tie it into the VR

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were the 1993 alternators internally regulated? And does the serpentine pulley just unbolt from the balancer? I'm really thinking about just swapping over the entire serpentine setup I have since this one doesn't have working ac and it needs v belts always.

The main harness can't be all that important, but I'll just cut and connect those wires to be safe lol I don't think I need the disconnect, we'll not a melted one.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a disconnect on my harness. but I have an aftermarket wiring system.

I forget which years are internally regulated, a quick search for 3g will be fruitfull.

I really dislike v-belts.
I got an AC delete wheel that takes up the slack for the serp.
I say install the serp.

oah and don't use butt connectors to repair that harness....

solder and shrink wrap.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, that melted connector looks like the main engine wiring harness connector. All of them I saw in the junkyard were melted when I was looking to replace mine (also melted). I just snipped the wires one pole at a time and crimp,solder, heat shrunk them together. The engine can still be removed without cutting wires, you just un-hook every wire at the source and un-bolt the glow pug controller. My guess,... the connector is there for ease of assembly at the factory. You don't need it.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serp setup uses the same balancer as the v-belt. No need to swap the balancer. Install the single belt setup and don't look back. Serpentine will also have the 3G alternator, and the wiring will be a little different. I can take a picture of the EVTM page of the charging system from a 92 serpentine setup and post it for you.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could you please toss more dirt and debris onto it and take worse pictures so we have a more difficult time of seeing it...it may be better obscurred then and we would likely have less than no clue.

Just sayin

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahaha sorry pressure washing it is the first thing I'm planning on doing today it's been a really busy week for me

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the yellow wire connected to the "A" terminal on the voltage regulator is disconnected unless its not supposed to be.

The two burned wires in the connector appear to be repaired, the rest of the connector is fine

The seller couldnt remember if a reman transmission was installed with the engine, well, it was. It was a fleet maitained vehicle for an electrical company here.

Attachments

• IMAG0825.jpg
    IMAG0825.jpg
    967.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMAG0823.jpg
    IMAG0823.jpg
    1,023.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG0822.jpg
    IMAG0822.jpg
    875.6 KB · Views: 16

Forum statistics

Threads