1990 7.3 Issues

Mike Brockman

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,New member here. I've been having some issues with fuel delivery with my 1990 7.3 idi.It's a u haul.Filled tank to top of filler neck to make sure I'd have enough fuel to drive about 25 miles on interstate.Truck ran 60 mph with minor surging.Filled tank after arrival upon destination. Used only 1.2 gallons for entire trip! Truck has always got 10 mpg.Is it possible that engine will run without the normal amount of fuel delivery? Suspect problems with pickup tube in tank and perhaps the sock screen.Thanks,Mike

Mike Brockman

Reaction score
Here's a question I've had for a long time.I've started this engine with either thousands of times over the last 9 years with no ill effects. Sprayed through a pipe onto air filter.Starts easily without either after warm-up.Replaced glow plug " brains" after plugs quit working but had problems replacing plugs themselves so went with the either.Why haven't I damaged engine? Maybe filter disperses either to all 8 cylinders equally?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with you on pick ups. I also install fuel pressure gauge in the filter head or around there, to make sure im getting pressure.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suspect problems with pickup tube in tank and perhaps the sock screen.Thanks,Mike

this is what I mean in the relation to fuel delivery.

some people do some hokey ashed stuff with glow plugs,
the only thing I can advise is ZD9 glow plugs only, a new glow plug harness and a new controller.
ive strayed from that path, and it always bit me in the keester.

Mike Brockman

Reaction score
Thanks Idloit, Years ago when I first had issues with glow plug system I planned on buying a new truck so just went with what I thought would be a short term fix.The either route.Then the recession hit!My concern with removing plugs at this point would be breaking one off in cylinder.They are motorcraft.What's your opinion of chances of success of removal after all this time of non-function.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10-1 in favor of the san jose sharks winning the world series.

the only thing I can say is good luck, you may be alright,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online