1989 7.3 idi computer

SethB

Reaction score
1989 f-350 idi E40D transmission

Could anyone tell me if my computer is bad? My tach is not working, and trans only has high and low. (limp mode?)
I have done research, looks like 3 main components, Ecu, tach sensor, and speed sensor. I put in a new tach, sensor, and my speed guage works. This is the only other thing i can come up with besides wiring, which could be possible.

I have attached some pictures, any help is greatly appreciated.

(see the off color blue, and the brown)

You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't tell on my phone but I trust 79jasper.

Does the TCM go into limp mode if it doesn't get a tach signal? I'd hate for you to replace the TCM if the tach is really the problem...

I can't say if it's the same or not but if you need a TCM RockAuto does carry them.

SethB

Reaction score
Would you guys say that it may be the problem? Motor sounds good, starts right up, but I have no compression in one of the pistons. But that is besides the point.
Some other things i have looked up is the TECA relay. Does anyone know where that is at?

I would say it's a little burnt. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I can't tell on my phone but I trust 79jasper.

Does the TCM go into limp mode if it doesn't get a tach signal? I'd hate for you to replace the TCM if the tach is really the problem...

I can't say if it's the same or not but if you need a TCM RockAuto does carry them.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
It looks like the capacitor leaked it's elecrolyte. It's common for capacitors from this era to fail like that. How handy are you with a solder iron? You might get away with just replacing the 47 uF capacitor. MIGHT...

SethB

Reaction score
I think i know a guy who could do it. Would it just be worth it in the long run to buy a new one?

Runningaford

Reaction score
I've not had any time to work on it, but my brother's truck, with the automatic has a similar problem as the OP's, except it'll shift through all gears, and the torque converter engages, and disengages correctly.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Would you guys say that it may be the problem? Motor sounds good, starts right up, but I have no compression in one of the pistons. But that is besides the point.
Some other things i have looked up is the TECA relay. Does anyone know where that is at?

TCM relay is on the drivers side fender.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726