1987 6.9 gp relay problems

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday i was doing my injector o rings and return lines and stuff and my wrench i was using to get my injectors out hit my glow plug relay. then shortly after that the relay by my battery had a wire on it that started smoking and melted. so i tried putting it back together and when i turned the key it just came apart again. Any idea what the problem is? Fried gp relay? The wire that burned is on the terminal of the battery relay. The wire melted off at the lug, when we solidered the wire back to the lug and turned on the ignition the solider joint melted. Does this sound more like a relay problem? How do I test the relay? I think there is a short to ground. Thank for Looking

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Lol
That's why you disconnect the batteries.
You probably burnt out the fusible link.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I don't exactly know this system but if there was a fuse between the battery and your relay that blew then you'll be fine. If there was no fuse then it's possible you burned out the relay, I do not know the duty cycle on these do couldn't guess.

Replace fuse. Test relay. Should be quick and easy to figure it out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with the relay you are posting about but it may very well be burned out. Hope others will chime in with information. The wire that smoked probably is the fuesable link. Find any pay to walk and pick up one off any ford truck or car. Remember you paid 2 bucks to get in. Now pocket parts are just that. Of be in line trying to buy a piece of wire. I bet the wrecking yard has a minimum price on things too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle