1977 f-350 Camper special dually diesel swap?

Olb Blue Beast

Built Ford Tough
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm lookin at a 77' F-350 super cab Camper Special :sly. Its got a 460/c6. I was thinkin if i got it, swappin that for a 6.9l/zf5. What would i need to do? I figure id have to swap these as well:

Gear selector from steering colum,
gear indicator from dash,
Engine mounts,
Tranny mounts,
Fuel tanks & Lines.

Am i missing anything?:confused:

Squeaky_Wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not done this swap but, I just did a quick search in the diesel conversion forum ( http://www.oilburners.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?138-Diesel-Conversion-Forum ) and there are a few threads that discuss this type of swap. There are more than a few people that have done this swap so hopefully they will chime in soon.

From what I know you will need to add an additional battery, pedals for clutch, modification/fabrication of motor mounts, possible body massage or body lift for clearance of bellhousing, a bigger radiator, ...

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm lookin at a 77' F-350 super cab Camper Special :sly. Its got a 460/c6. I was thinkin if i got it, swappin that for a 6.9l/zf5. What would i need to do? I figure id have to swap these as well:

Gear selector from steering colum,
gear indicator from dash,
Engine mounts,
Tranny mounts,
Fuel tanks & Lines.

Am i missing anything?:confused:

There is no gear indicator on the dash, it's on the steering column.
Fuel tanks are fine, just clean them out.
You will have to run a return line back to the tanks, just braze a nipple onto the filler neck.
Tranny mount, you should be fine, use the stock zf mount, might have to move the crossmember.
Motor mounts, can't help you there, mines 4x4, different setup.

Body lift only if your going with a turbo, clearance for the downpipe.
Some have done the swap with the stock radiator and say they have no cooling problems, I went with the super cool rad (largest you can get for this year truck).
Throttle cable, I fabbed up some brackets so I could use an 85 cable.

I'm probably forgetting a bunch of things but this should give you a good idea what's involved.

Dennis

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be watching I'll be starting my F-150 2x in a few weeks, Going through the motor right now I will be going with a e4od speedo VSS...But I'm using a complete 91 parts truck so I dont need to spend months finding parts, And this way I knew the motor and trans was in good working order.

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
If I can find a donor truck, I'm goin to install a 7.3/c6 in a 2wd short bed F150 and make a kind of pro-street truck to putt around in on weekends

bobbywalter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you already have the 6.9 setup?

i know i would run the cummins if the price was right when starting from 0, this based simply on better economy potential. though i seriously prefer v8 noise. the six just is not nice to my ear. in the case of a fullsize old school tow rig that is bad ass, i can deal with the cummins no problem though.

just throwing that out there...