2 to 4wd swap ideas

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got "Triple A", my '1987 F-350 C&C dually truck with a flatbed on it. It's got a 7.3(yes), ATS 088 turbo, and a C6 that was recently rebuilt. 3.55 gearing. I paid $600 for it.

Now, up where I am, 2wd is basically useless for half the year.

My plan for this truck is:
1. Convert to 4x4.
2. Install OD of some sort.
3. Install plow on the front
4. Make flatbed into dump bed.
5. ???
6. Profit!

Now, I have several options for #1:
1. I can do my usual stick-swap: ZF5, 1356 and done.
Pros: Stick. with 3.55s, it'll have a highway gear and all.
Cons: Stick might be harder for plowing, more wear on the clutch? Also starting with a heavy load may be more of a challenge.
2. I can leave the 2wd C6, add a 2wd Gearvendor OD(which I have), stick a divorced t-case behind that and go from there.
Pros: I have the C6 and GV. C6 moves it nicely at lower speeds as it is. Could use OD/splitter in 4x4.
Cons: C6 has no lockup. Needs bigger trans cooler. Worse fuel economy. VRV is unobtanium if it fails.
3. Convert to 4x4 E4OD + 1356.
Pros: I have an E4OD with broken shift solenoid connector, and just got a broken E4OD for parts. Has lockup for highway travel.
Cons: It's still an auto, would need a computer rigged up to shift it(Haven't seen any manual conversions for these)

Here's pictures:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FordDiesels/comments/8v75vt/old_workhorse_back_from_the_dead/
You must be registered for see images attach

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like #5 and 6LOL. That wouldn't be a Southpark reference, would it?

Normally I'm partial to the E4OD but would you really be that worried about the ZF5 clutch even in low range 4wd?

Is this a twin I-beam truck or is it a solid I-beam?

Do you know the history on that E4OD? I'd be weary of putting it behind a turbo IDI unless you know it's sound.

The cheapest and easiest by far would be the 5 speed swap.

crabbypaul

Reaction score
If you are going to snow plow to make money you will have to have an automatic for that the C6 is almost indestructible.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not quite sure why everyone is so against plowing with a manual. I did it for a few years and it wasn't too bad, sure the auto was easier but keep your wits about you and you shouldn't have a problem.

Granted that was plowing a decent sized parking lot in a half ton chevy with a 350 and an NV4500. I kept the transfer case in low range and never had any trouble.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not quite sure why everyone is so against plowing with a manual. I did it for a few years and it wasn't too bad, sure the auto was easier but keep your wits about you and you shouldn't have a problem.

Granted that was plowing a decent sized parking lot in a half ton chevy with a 350 and an NV4500. I kept the transfer case in low range and never had any trouble.
If its no issue with a gasser 350 half ton a real pickup should manage just fine! :D

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... After all of this, it looks like I'm going to be going ahead with the 5-speed swap.
The thing that made up my mind is that I just picked up a PTO-driven dump bed setup for it, really cheaply(and I can probably hijack the pump for plow cylinders as well). So I kind of need a PTO port.
5-speeds have two, C6s have 0. I *could* use one on the T-case, if I had a F-350 t-case. Most all the ones I have are F-250(non-PTO) though.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You'll probably be happier with the ZF5 in the long run anyway. I've never been a fan of a C6 behind an IDI myself. They just feel too gutless to me. Of course I've never driven one with much more than stock power either.