190D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year?

I'm going to operate under the assumption that you're talking about the 190D 2.2 or 2.5 from '84 to '89...there was also a 190D car made in the early '60's, but these are rather rare these days.

It's fundamentally a good car...keep in mind that both the 2.2l and 2.5l engines have aluminum heads, so be careful not to overheat it...although head warping isn't as big of an issue with these two engines as it is with the 3.0l 6 cylinder found in the '87 300D. I'm not aware of any chassis-specific issues...the biggest thing is to make sure that the suspension is in decent shape. Suspension issues on an M-B can get very expensive VERY quickly, and often result in premature tire wear.

I haven't dealt specifically with a 190D, but one thing I've learned is that, if you want a vehicle that gets you from Point A to Point B, and you're short on $$ but are mechanically inclined, an M-B diesel can't be beat. However, at the same time, if you want a vehicle where every last little thing works flawlessly...it's possible to do with am M-B, but it's going to get expensive very quickly...for example, you can expect the cruise control to not work and to cost about $400 to repair if you want it to work. The climate control can also be iffy, although it may have been better-maintained in a Florida car. If you can find a car with manual climate controls, that would be better, although I'm not sure a 190D U.S. variant was offered with manual controls, and finding a Euro gray-market car isn't all that easy.

Hope this helps a bit...good luck!!

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't even have this pop up in my control panel...car is an 87...workin on a trade with him now but we'll see. No one seems to wanted a dropped/levelled Flareside. It's also got the 2.5, he said it was non turbo but I'm not sure...I've never really looked into a MB but the good fuel mileage they get is rather appealing.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That makes sense....most of the 2.5l's in the 190D's were naturally-aspirated. A turbo 2.5l was offered in '87, and if you can find one (especially with a 5 speed manual), consider yourself VERY lucky :D The W201 chassis is a pretty light car, so you should do pretty good on fuel...I've never dealt with one directly, but from what I gather, low 30's is about normal unless you have a lead foot.

Any updates? Post pics ;Sweet

dmaxjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2.5 turbo and loved it!!!! I averaged 33mpg mixed city/hwy. Parts are cheap and it was a pleasure to work on. The best I ever got was 39mpg and the worst was 31. My daughter was driving it when she got hit in the drivers side by a dodge neon going 45+ mph. 2 people in the neon went to the hospital my daughter went to school after the accident. MB's are fantastic automobiles.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a 87 2.5 190d is a solid car. you won't miss the turbo on this car. Even in automatic trans it scoots nice;Sweet I picked up one with 150k on the odo and beat the snot out of it for two years, sold it to another member here and his family used it as a commuter from SF to Seattle runs. It met an untimely death via a head-on collision but none of the passengers got hurt. If I was to find another cheap deal on one, it'd be in my fleet.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything back from the guy that owns it but I'll still be hunting for one.......Thanks for the input guys...I knew there was a small MB following here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7