16 months of my WMO use

IDIMAN94

Reaction score
Well I thought it was time to post up my results of time and money invested in using wmo. I started out doing 50/50 then 60/40 and so on up to 100% wmo for a very short time. My results r from 9-1-2011 threw 12-30-2012.

I put 23,770 miles on the truck

WMO fuel made : 1,482 gallons cost $1,642
Average cost : $1.11 per gallon
Misc. Diesel purchased : $810
Avg Diesel price : $3.82 per gallon

If running 100% pump diesel : $5,661

So I had a savings of : $4,019

Heres a list of my initial cost of get my wmo setup and running

PAbio diesel supply 65 gph centrifuge : $1000
Misc. hoses,pumps, and storage totes : $195

So in the end I had a total saving of : " $2,824 "

Im really happy with the end savings and will keep using wmo. I have learned alot about blending wmo to get the right viscosity for the different weather conditions.

I know alot of people say that wmo is not good for the fuel system but I could buy 2 brand new fuel systems (IP,injectors,lift pump) for the truck, just in this short time of running wmo. So its basically try at your own risk thing.

In the end im glad I bought a IDI.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
and now that you are over the hump on paying off your equipment its all gravy from here on out

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any loss of power or mpg? or increase for that matter? ive been getting around 10mpg in my truck, but i think timing it would fix that

Smoky12v

Reaction score
Congrats on successfully running on WMO!

I am in similar boat as you but I'm running on my first tank of WMO.

I probably have invested close to $1,000-$1,200 in the processing equipments. So far I have collected 330 gallons of waste oil.

I certainly need to learn to improve my blend as my truck is a bit grumpy on W83 blend in upstate NY's winter.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Straight WMO flowed through my filter fine until high RPMs under 30/40ish degree temps.

IDIMAN94

Reaction score
That's actually really good. Makes me think harder on saving for a centrifuge setup.
I would highly recommend a centrifuge to clean your WMO. I know its a big chunk of change in the beginning but mine payed for it self in 5 months.

any loss of power or mpg? or increase for that matter? ive been getting around 10mpg in my truck, but i think timing it would fix that
. I do notice a little bit of power loss when running higher percentage of WMO, but I cure that with a little more right foot action. As for mpg I don't really keep track of them but I would say I'm getting about 12 mpg and that is probably due to my pump and injectors having 130,000 plus miles on them

What fuel filter are you using. I had trouble getting the wmo to get past the filter at 70* with a 80/20 mix.
. I'm still using the stock filter up by the motor. I recently added a golden rod filter when I installed my 165 gallon semi tank. The only time I've had flow trouble was on my recent trip to Texas when I was running 85/15. It was 30 to 45 out and it only acted funny when I got above 80mph.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried using a Goldenrod at my hand pump. I quickly realized how hard it is to push WMO through one of those. Much too much effort on my part LOL
At 70*, my truck would start to stall on a 80/20 mix. I doubled the size of the filter and now it's good to 45* or so. Anything below that I have to mix 75/25. Then I am good to 15*, but I can see my fuel pressure drop on hard acceleration.

IDIMAN94

Reaction score
I have not had any stalling problems as I am running my 70/30 winter mix, but it did start to chuggle a little this past week at 2500 rpms and over, as the temps were 0 to 15, so it was cold. So I just ran straight diesel for a few days.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I bet it just got a little thick in those temps and couldn't keep the flow up.
Just my uneducated guess of never running waste oils before. Lol

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not had any stalling problems as I am running my 70/30 winter mix, but it did start to chuggle a little this past week at 2500 rpms and over, as the temps were 0 to 15, so it was cold. So I just ran straight diesel for a few days.

I've been using pump diesel for the last week due to the cold temperatures. Makes starting much easier. AT 20* I saw my fuel pressure going down too much for comfort.

MedicMoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I thought it was time to post up my results of time and money invested in using wmo. I started out doing 50/50 then 60/40 and so on up to 100% wmo for a very short time. My results r from 9-1-2011 threw 12-30-2012.

I put 23,770 miles on the truck

WMO fuel made : 1,482 gallons cost $1,642
Average cost : $1.11 per gallon
Misc. Diesel purchased : $810
Avg Diesel price : $3.82 per gallon

If running 100% pump diesel : $5,661

So I had a savings of : $4,019

Heres a list of my initial cost of get my wmo setup and running

PAbio diesel supply 65 gph centrifuge : $1000
Misc. hoses,pumps, and storage totes : $195

So in the end I had a total saving of : " $2,824 "

Im really happy with the end savings and will keep using wmo. I have learned alot about blending wmo to get the right viscosity for the different weather conditions.

I know alot of people say that wmo is not good for the fuel system but I could buy 2 brand new fuel systems (IP,injectors,lift pump) for the truck, just in this short time of running wmo. So its basically try at your own risk thing.

In the end im glad I bought a IDI.

Do you have any pictures of your set up? I am very interested in something similar.

wdkingery

Reaction score
excellent post!

I have been running a 100% mix of WMO/ATF (mostly WMO) on a little VW diesel with interesting results. The cold certainly slows me down; a warm day allows for a 10MPH higher top speed (around 80 downhill.) Judging by the grey smoke on startup, i would imagine viscosity/flow rate are the issue on the cold day.

Cold starts are a bit harder. Smoke isn't unbearable, but is present. Glow plug wire became disconnected, so i ended up having to start on starting fluid two mornings in a row, with apparently good results. seems my rings might be sticking, and the shock of the ether (enough to spin the starter backwards during starting) was enough to free the rings, as power went up, smoke went down, and fuel consumption went down all at the same time, just after the ether episode.

I am just dumping the WMO thru a 1 micron bag filter as needed, as the car gets 40+ MPG, so i don't need much at a time.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that the 1.8 the older VWs had? I've got a friend that wants to stick one in the Jetta and run WMO after he's seen my driving for free for a few years now.