16 gal fuel capacity

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
every time i fill my front tank up, it takes about 16 gal of fuel.then i run till almost empty, and ot takes another 16gallons of fuel. the owners manual says it should be a 19 gal tank. A few weeks ago i went to do the fuel hose mod in the tank, and someone already had done it, so its not the showerhead issue.... any idea what could be going on.. I have been averaging my MPGs based on 16 gallon fill ups, because that's what ive been doing.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wel just because you found a hose already installed it probably too short so you tank only sucks up 16 galons and then runs out of fuel. Do this. run till you feel the engine run out of fuel but switch tanks. then later when you can, remove the sender and stick the tank. You will probably find plenty of fuel that can'r be sucked up. Now adjust the rubber hose to reach the bottom.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wel just because you found a hose already installed it probably too short so you tank only sucks up 16 galons and then runs out of fuel. Do this. run till you feel the engine run out of fuel but switch tanks. then later when you can, remove the sender and stick the tank. You will probably find plenty of fuel that can'r be sucked up. Now adjust the rubber hose to reach the bottom.

IIRC people who did that mod cut the hose 3 inches long... i measured the hose, and thats how long it is. and how would the short hose affect the tank. reading? the sensor just looks like a floater arm that would still be reading the tank correctly, but in theory if the hose was too short, i would run out of fuel before my gauge hit empty....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be that someone stuck a 16 gallon short box truck tank in place of the 19 gallon unit...measure the length of tank...report back and we can discuss this further.

Al

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the same on my gas burner, 19 gallon tank and I have to run it to nearly empty to get 16 gallons in it.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your running it almost to empty and it has three gallons left? I don't see problem here, As long as your sure the hose is reaching the bottom everything sounds fine.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my tanks are like this too (haven't checked the shower heads but i too was wondering how that affects the fuel reading?). My front tank will only take 12 gallons, rear tank maybe 5, 6 gallons. always.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
my tanks are like this too (haven't checked the shower heads but i too was wondering how that affects the fuel reading?). My front tank will only take 12 gallons, rear tank maybe 5, 6 gallons. always.
Sounds like more than just the shower head. The shower head could be clogged so it's sucking through the bypass.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its possible that tank suction is sucking thru the bypass on the suction line. Time to remove the sender and check it out again.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so yesterday i ran my truck until it ran out of fuel going up a hill.. then i put 15 gallons of a WMO blend in it. then i filled the rest up with #2 diesel and it took 5 gallons... (a total of 20 gallons for those bad at math)lol.. on a side note, it was filled to the brim..

anyway. the first time i filled it up i put 16 gal of wmo in it. and ran it empty (using all 19 gallons im assuming) and i filled up at 100031 miles, then ran out at 100240, thus giving me 209 miles to the tank. or 11mpg.

That seems like horrible mileage.. what could be going on? its new ip and injectors, but i never got it timed. could not timing it make fuel efficiency that bad? i mean it seems to run fine and all. only smoke i get is under HEAVY accel. and thats also on a WMO blend.

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-You may have put more fuel in it than you did when you filled it up the first time
-Your speedometer may be off some
-All the fuel returning to the proper tank?
-Have you crawled under to inspect for fuel leaks from the tanks to the engine?
-Your timing could easily be off, we never know how much though.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-You may have put more fuel in it than you did when you filled it up the first time
-Your speedometer may be off some
-All the fuel returning to the proper tank?
-Have you crawled under to inspect for fuel leaks from the tanks to the engine?
-Your timing could easily be off, we never know how much though.

fuel seems to stay in the correct tank.
no fuel leaks that i have seen
i cant imagine the timing making the fuel mileage THAT bad without it being visually noticeable or hearing something

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no idea, how would i know that?

edit: i DO know that the fast idle solenoid plunger looking thingy works still.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
When you start it cold people say it should sound like a psd. Basically more rattle than usual until the high-idle kicks off. The peddle should feel a little touchy also. It's the plug on the drivers side of the pump towards the back. If there's a huge difference in power when it's on, most likely your timing is way off.