15 or 30psi Boost Guage

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
So I'm ordering up gauges (boost, EGT and Trans Temp - all ISSPRO). I was planning on going with a 0-15psi boost gauge, but thought I'd run it by y'all first. The truck is a stock factory turbo IDI. I intend to add better exhaust/downpipe and perhaps do something with the pitiful intake, but no plans to really go crazy. I just want it to pull a little better and a bit more fuel economy would be great. So, botom line, I don't see myself running more than 12psi max boost in the future. Thoughts or recomendations would be great ;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go with the 15 psi gauge. I've never even come close to maxing mine out, and, really, you want the range of the gauge to be as close to the numbers you will be seeing as possible...a gauge with a range far beyond what you'll see can be inaccurate in the range that you need.

BTW, I would strongly recommend the EV gauges over the "normal" gauges. I just replaced my old Isspro pyro with an EV unit, and the difference is like night and day! It's FAR easier to read. I might replace my boost gauge now... Also, check DPS's site. In my experience, Ken may be a bit hard to get a hold of, but he's a good guy and has good prices on all of this stuff. ;Sweet

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is an Autometer 60PSI boost and it is WAY too much. I bought it from a dealer at a swapmeet knowing it was too big, but it was all he had and the price was right. :D I would go with a smaller one if I had to do it again, but for now it works just fine and tops out at 12~13psi under hard load. Smaller scale would be much easier to read.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish they made a 12 or 14. that's what I'd get.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Mine goes up to 15 psi and that is all I need. I don't think this engines can get more than that safely any way.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
bikepilot said:
So I'm ordering up gauges (boost, EGT and Trans Temp - all ISSPRO). I was planning on going with a 0-15psi boost gauge, but thought I'd run it by y'all first. The truck is a stock factory turbo IDI. I intend to add better exhaust/downpipe and perhaps do something with the pitiful intake, but no plans to really go crazy. I just want it to pull a little better and a bit more fuel economy would be great. So, botom line, I don't see myself running more than 12psi max boost in the future. Thoughts or recomendations would be great ;Sweet

I can peg my 15 psi gage when i get on her,(waste gate is blocked completely, and with no ill effects i might add) so really it just depends on how much you wanna see the gage move! If you want it to only get to half when you get on it buy the 30 if you wanna see it pegged once in a while buy the 15.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Sounds like the 15psi unit is for me. The gauges I'm getting are black faced EV series - nabbed them from a diesel store on egay:)

For the mount, a three-pod pillar mount is included. It comes black, but they guy will paint it with "ford factory paint" to match my interior (tan) for $22 extra - any thoughts on this?

Also, are there any cool gauge holders that would fit on that little indentation on the dash just above the radio?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
bikepilot said:
Sounds like the 15psi unit is for me. The gauges I'm getting are black faced EV series - nabbed them from a diesel store on egay:)

IMO the green/yellow/red on the black faced pyro is **** :D

Also, are there any cool gauge holders that would fit on that little indentation on the dash just above the radio?

YES...here I suggest getting the plastic primer paint before applying the color. That's where mine is and I love its placement. Be prepared to remove your radio during installation and drilling a LARGE hole for the connectors to fit through.

pafixitman

Reaction score
This is how mine are installed. The dash mount is Autometer, but it is not enclosed in the back. I like that panel mount from egauge. May have to change mine out one day.

$22 to paint?? I took my fuse panel into Home Cheapo and had them mix a qt to match. Not bad, but not a "perfect" match either.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Thanks for the info:) I like that dash mount setup. The green/yellow/red while kinda goofy doesn't really bother me and it will make it simple in the event someone else is driving the truck (like my wife).

pafixitman

Reaction score
My Isspro EGT was for a post downpipe install - based on the color vs. temp. I ended up installing it in the Y-pipe.

I pay attention to the numbers, my wife on the other hand, just knows not to hit the red which is actually a lower temp then if I had the pre down pipe gauge.

6_Myles

I be architect'n
Reaction score
I've been looking at the SPA Technique digital guages. You can get a Boost/EGT combo for about $450.00 ( I know, a little pricey) but you want have to worry about getting a specific range and you can get two guages in one pod (which I like alot).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online