14bolt in '90 d350

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 14 bolt in the dodge is a AAM axle. housings are the same, guts are the same. the mount points are different as well as the hubs.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Personally i would keep ford to ford, dodge to dodge and so on.....but it can be done! If you want to put a 14 bolt inger that dodge, go for it. Might make for some hard to find parts like drive shafts and U joints, but i've seen some pretty odd rigs.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
What did the 90 D350's use for a rear axle? The 250's were a D70U 32 spline, but for some reason I think that the 350's were something larger....

Anyway i've been wondering this myself. The 14bolt is stronger than the Dana 70's and right there with the 80's imo. One problem I see is the 1410 u-joints on the Dodge you would have to buy an aftermarket 1410 yoke for the 14bolt. The pro's are the much larger brakes, the pinion has a third bearing to eliminate gear deflect and they are 2.5 inches wider than the SRW D70 in the W250's ;Sweet

Perch width would be my main concern. They can be placed in a different spot but the stock 14bolt perches are a pain to remove! :puke:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
a 1410 yoke to make your driveshaft work, depending on the legnth you may have to shorten or lengthen your driveshaft, and move your spring pads on the axle...and it should bolt into place on the stock springs..

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 10.5 14 bolt is not in the same class as a D70. If you believe otherwise you've hung out on pirate4x4 too long or have not actually compared the two.

The GM 10.5 14B uses the exact same carrier bearings and smaller races actually as a D60. The 14B has a crush sleeve pinion (bad). Dana uses solid shims. Dana 70 35 spline axles are a good bit larger than 14B axles.

If I had to rate full float pickup axles for strength I'd put them something like this-

30 spline Dana 60/61
Light duty D70 (gen1 Cummins dodge)
10.5 14 bolt
10.5 Dana 70 and 10.25/10.5 Ford Sterling and Dodge Dana 80
Ford Dana 80

Of all the axles listed the 10.25/10.5 Sterlings are the finest built IMO. I would trust one with solid pinion shims over a Dana and the Sterling really shines in the fact it has more ground clearance than a D60. The 14B has very poor ground clearance.

The 10.25 Sterling carrier bearings, axles and hub bearings make 14B stuff look pretty cheeze. Both 14B's and Sterlings have had similiar production runs and are equally dirt cheap. Detroits for 14B's are very cheap which gives a slight advantage, but the Sterling does not have a carrier break so, in laymens terms if you understand the idea that 1 pound of welding rod equals or bests a spline detroit locker then the reaility is that the Sterling is the cheaper axle to build with low gears and is considerably stronger.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
The 10.5 14 bolt is not in the same class as a D70. If you believe otherwise you've hung out on pirate4x4 too long or have not actually compared the two.

The 10.25 Sterling carrier bearings, axles and hub bearings make 14B stuff look pretty cheeze. Both 14B's and Sterlings have had similiar production runs and are equally dirt cheap. Detroits for 14B's are very cheap which gives a slight advantage, but the Sterling does not have a carrier break so, in laymens terms if you understand the idea that 1 pound of welding rod equals or bests a spline detroit locker then the reaility is that the Sterling is the cheaper axle to build with low gears and is considerably stronger.

Hmm it's rare to find someone that supports the use of the Sterling over the 14B. I have been wanting to swap out my D70U for awile now and have been set on a 14 bolt. I have a Sterling sitting in the back yard maybe I should look into it instead--I have just never paid much attention to them I guess...

Do you know the size of the Sterlings pinion shaft? The D70 is the same as the D60 but I was under the impression that the 14bolts was larger and perhaps the Sterling is too. Also what yokes were avaliable with the Sterlings--can you get a 1410 on those?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7