-14 outside should I try to start'er w/o the heater?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Geez Manky those are some friggin' cold temps. I think the 30 plate FPHE is the minimum you'll need. :eek: We had a LOW of +25*F which about as cold as it ever gets here. :hail You comment that starting your truck cold sounds like a PSD is an major insult. LOL But I can handle it. :D

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Did an 18 sec burn this morning and she sputtered on for a bit. Wait about a minute, did another 5 seconds and she started just fine.

I'm worried about those 18 second burns and the life expectancy of my plugs :)

p.s. I ordered a 30 plate a few days ago

Last edited:

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Son, life is simple - it's either Cherry Red or Midnight Blue."

I love that album, Lou Gramm is still one of my favorites...

Anyway, my tired 6.9 was REALLY fighting me this morning! Even with the block heater plugged in she was barking louder than the 966 IH Tractor.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, on all of my vehicles I run in the winter I have a battery maintainer installed and it usually runs all night with the block heater on a timer.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
p.s. I ordered a 30 plate a few days ago

Just remember that the new coolant loop route should go from a tee at the hose coming from the head to FPHE first to give it maximum heat. Then once your fuel passes through it will get hotter than if the FPHE was last in the loop just before the return to tee to water pump.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've got an air problem! No way it should have died. That was a normal, quality start!

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure, but I could be wrong, that by "air problem" it was meant that there was air in the fuel line that stopped the engine.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I am pretty sure, but I could be wrong, that by "air problem" it was meant that there was air in the fuel line that stopped the engine.

Interesting. The engine runs great once it's started. And never even stutters when on a block heater starts in 2 seconds with no sputters.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering the cold, its not unusual for the engine to sputter a little when it first starts idleing. Thats why the after glow is there to keep it running. You can give after glow manually to see what effect you get.

Our diesel ranger is also IDI and has an aluminum head (aluminum sucks heat faster than steel), so it takes a bit of after glow to keep it going after start up or it may sputter and stall out on colder days.

For after glow, try 2 seconds on, 3-5 seconds off, you should feel the engine respond right away to the added heat. Give only enough glow to keep it going since you don't want to over do it.. After the first few seconds, the prechamber will be warm enough to self ignite the fuel on its own.

Air leaks in the fuel return lines could be causing this too, but it seemed to restart a little too easily for that.