14 bolt swap

TheKurgen

Reaction score
Hey all I was just curious if anybody has swapped in a 14 bolt in place of the sterling 10.25 in their trucks. I've been contemplating it as I've heard it's much cheaper to upgrade the 14b but I'm not sure how hard it will be. Do the spring perches have to be modified? Or will I have to cut and weld new ones? Also would it be cheaper to do it this way or just upgrade the sterling as I would like to add a detroit locker as well as a disc brake conversion. Much help would be appreciated thanks!

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
FYI 14 bolts dont have a 3.55 ratio. 3.42, 3.73 and 4.11 are most common. Depends on your current gearing. And FWIW the Sterling is stout.

TheKurgen

Reaction score
Okay thanks guys, I'm not entirely sure which ratio to run as of yet, but given my situation I would probably end up with 3.73s. I do realize that the sterling can take both of those mods it's just as far as I've read and seen it would take close to $800-1000 whereas the 14b could be done for $500 unless, of course, somebody could tell me it could be cheaper. Also another factor would be if swapping the 14b would be more work and money than it's worth to just stick with the sterling. Thanks for the help though.

TheKurgen

Reaction score
there is NO WAY you are going to swap a 14 bolt, add disc brakes and a locker for $500

Sorry for the confusion but I meant to say that a fellow member on a different forum added disc brakes and a locker for $500 not swapping one in. He quoted somewhere around 325 for the locker as well brand new.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion but I meant to say that a fellow member on a different forum added disc brakes and a locker for $500 not swapping one in. He quoted somewhere around 325 for the locker as well brand new.

Ok. then how much for the 14 bolt axle and how much for the disc brakes?

TheKurgen

Reaction score
I'm not sure how he acquired the axle, I believe he got it from a friend that had an extra at hand so I'm sure he got a killer deal on it, but I do know that he did pay almost $150 for disc brakes. $40 each for the rotors, $40 for loaded calipers and $20 in the brake lines.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 14 bolt is the strongest 3/4 -1ton rear made. I would do it in a minute if my sterling went *********.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 14B is the AAM 10.5, the 11.5 is a D80 equivalent.
The 14B and sterling are pretty much equivalent, only real advantage the 14B has is the extra pinion bearing.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stronger than even the AAM axles in the newer Dodges and GM's?

Yes ,because it has a straddle mounted pinion, not just hung on 2 spaced bearings.
Now we are talking about the early 14b that has the bolt in pinion carrier, not the later one that doesnt.