14 bolt swap

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me ,when the crappy crush sleeve made the yoke loose. but it was a 5k rpm 460 second to third sidestep shift,:eek: beat a honda.:D Sometimes I miss my 460.:sly

TheKurgen

Reaction score
The 14b is marginally stronger than the 10.5, but is it worth the swap?? Are you really pushing the limits of the 10.5?

Id just put the money into the 10.5 than worry about swapping in a 14b, I dont think the extra trouble is really worth it.

I guess that might be the question I have to figure out for myself but I have both axles and the truck does not have a rear end in it yet that's why I was curious if it would be cost equivalent or cheaper to install

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
GM also uses a crush sleeve on the 14 bolt. I personally prefer the 14 bolt since it is easier to set up, and parts are cheaper. I have never had a problem though with either.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
In the rock crawling world the 14bolt pretty much rules. The third bearing was a great idea, and they clearance quite well when you shave the housing. The pinion flange/removable pinion carrier is killer, and gearing and locker options are plentiful as well.

As for our trucks and what most people use them for you're pretty much splitting hairs comparing it to the Sterling imo. If I could magically choose which one I had in my truck I'd pick the 14B, but there is no way I'd ever consider swapping a good sterling out just to have the 14b...

TheKurgen

Reaction score
That's what I hear and that's partially where I got the idea from is the rock crawling world. As I said I guess it's not really a swap now seeing as I have both axles and a truck that has no rearend in it yet. I was just wondering if the expense of modifying a 14B to fit with a disc brake conversion and locker would be worth it (i.e. cheaper) or should I just do a conversion on the sterling and a locker?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM also uses a crush sleeve on the 14 bolt. I personally prefer the 14 bolt since it is easier to set up, and parts are cheaper. I have never had a problem though with either.

Yes but it is big and thick and doesnt see the bearing load .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online