100% WMO?

sign_man

Reaction score
Viscosity scales are different for different oils!

I think gear oil is a bit thick, I wouldnt use it any more than a gallon or two per tank at the max.

As you can see from the chart, 85W gear oil has about the same pour point as 30W motor oil. I have no idea why they did the scales like this other than to keep us confused!

You must be registered for see images attach

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you guys doing to filter the oil, and what filters are you using?

Tim

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:D :D :D mel--!!!-- i was changing the fuel pump in that pic--cause the weather was cool--and when its about 50-55 outside--that 100% DOESNT like the stock pump----nothing wrong with the one i took off--but i didnt know for sure--its called learning curve!!---and the tank in the back of the truck--is now insulated with 1 in of foam--and the oil is going to be heated by engine antifreeze so it flows well----that semi tank had the original heater line already in it---and so you know--a few laughed at me at that event--but now others are doing it also-----yuk, yuk------:D but i didnt care--as mel said--my fuel cost was REAL low!!!!!

i am kind of surprised that the stock pump would not pull oil at those temps. Those things are very powerfull and can pull close to 30" vacuum. Are you SURE the problem was at the pump and not at the filter? What kind of pump did you replace the stock one with?
i am running 100% wvo in the rear tank but have not tried it in cold weather yet so i am just trying to plan ahead to figure out what i may have to do in the winter. I do have a heat exchanger under the hood and it gets the wvo almost as hot as the engine temp.

Paul

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
The worst that can happen, eh? How about getting your IP and injectors messed up, thats a costly fix (though I doubt it would happen).

Or what if your going down a 8% grade thats 5 miles long, and all the sudden your motor quites running, while you have 12000 pound trailer behind you. You dont have power steering or brakes, and your accelerating. Where are you then LOL, thats a pretty big what if though :D

thats a good thought i would probably just kiss my tail good by and as for the ejector seat i dont have one yet but that is in the works for now my ejector seat is door handle operated and all i have to do is leen to the left and gravity does the rest

sassyrel

Reaction score
(i am kind of surprised that the stock pump would not pull oil at those temps. Those things are very powerfull and can pull close to 30" vacuum. Are you SURE the problem was at the pump and not at the filter? What kind of pump did you replace the stock one with?
i am running 100% wvo in the rear tank but have not tried it in cold weather yet so i am just trying to plan ahead to figure out what i may have to do in the winter. I do have a heat exchanger under the hood and it gets the wvo almost as hot as the engine temp.) quote
guaranteed--it wont pull it!!! i said learning curve--thats why i replaced the fuel pump--thinking it was bad--and i replaced it with another stock pump--a electric red is going in there next---if the heating doesnt do the trick--which i believe it will---

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guaranteed--it wont pull it!!! i said learning curve--thats why i replaced the fuel pump--thinking it was bad--and i replaced it with another stock pump--a electric red is going in there next---if the heating doesnt do the trick--which i believe it will---

thanks for the reply but i will decide that for myself! the reason i know these lift pumps can pull 29" hg is because on my 6.2 step van with a two-tank wvo system i have a vac gauge on the dash that tells me how much vacuum is building up in the fuel line, so when the wvo filter starts clogging the gauge tells me before it stalls out on the road. Well, i also have a ball valve in line before the tank and one night i left it closed while changing filters and forgot to open it, so when i got on the highway and switched to wvo i saw the vac gauge shoot all the way up almost to 30" and i realized right away what happened so i switched back to diesel. The 7.3 has the same lift pump - and that kind of vacuum will pull any semi-fluid liquid, and motor oil at 50 F should be no problem at all. I have already run wvo at about 60 F and just have not had enough cold weather to test it below that.
the problem was at your filter, not the lift pump - but i guess that does not matter so much now that you have a heated tank for it - and i think you will find that an electric lift pump will not do anywhere near what the cam-driven mechanical pumps do, unless you spend $500 for the kind that are made specifically for wvo.
Paul

Black dawg

Reaction score
be careful with oil, if you rev the motor too much cold, it will twist off pump shafts. Never had any problems once the motor was warm, even down to zero degrees

dieselutheran2

Reaction score
Has anybody had problems with coking or injector tips going bad from WMO? I'm in the process of putting a heated aux tank for WVO/biodiesel mix, it would seem I could dump any oil in the tank and be no worse for wear!

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im running filters from fleetgaurd a fs1000 wich is 10 micron and a ff5319 wich is a 2 micron rating u can buy the heads from fleetgaurd the heads are the same

DO you run this on your truck or filter it before you use it, and just keep the stock filter on your truck?

Tim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Scott, for some reason I never put your handle to your person. LOL You've been here all along. No need for me to comment further, as the expert is here. Of course my excuse for not recognizing you, is I don't think I remember seeing your face. LOL
You must be registered for see images

:)

sassyrel

Reaction score
thanks for the reply but i will decide that for myself! the reason i know these lift pumps can pull 29" hg is because on my 6.2 step van with a two-tank wvo system i have a vac gauge on the dash that tells me how much vacuum is building up in the fuel line, so when the wvo filter starts clogging the gauge tells me before it stalls out on the road. Well, i also have a ball valve in line before the tank and one night i left it closed while changing filters and forgot to open it, so when i got on the highway and switched to wvo i saw the vac gauge shoot all the way up almost to 30" and i realized right away what happened so i switched back to diesel. The 7.3 has the same lift pump - and that kind of vacuum will pull any semi-fluid liquid, and motor oil at 50 F should be no problem at all. I have already run wvo at about 60 F and just have not had enough cold weather to test it below that.
the problem was at your filter, not the lift pump - but i guess that does not matter so much now that you have a heated tank for it - and i think you will find that an electric lift pump will not do anywhere near what the cam-driven mechanical pumps do, unless you spend $500 for the kind that are made specifically for wvo.
Paul
107 posts--and you get in my face--get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!! i just told you what i experienced--know it all---

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a good point about the pump shafts, never thought about that. I work at a shop and only take like 5W20 oil, never from cars over 3K though. I think with the light vicosity oil I'll be alright. In fact, I just filled my rear tank with it. I'll let you guys know how it works out....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calroc

Members online