$1.40 per litre for Diesel....WMO.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is kinda what I was thinking. I know that he has someone come and pump his tanks but I don't know what they do with it. I guess I will double check what he is doing with the stuff.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
All our waste oils/coolants go in the same tank and it's truck away legally...Seperated and re-sold for WMO heating fuel to local business's with waste oil furnaces. They pay us 1 cent per litre for the waste oil. I have an endless supply of "free" fuel if I want it....200-300L per day hitting the drain pan...LOL....But I would take it from the drain pan so I know it would be antifreeze free.

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work for the local garbage Co. we have over 100 trucks/drivers.I'm goin to hit up the head mechanic.I know we have to keep the antifreeze and oils separate.

Oly_fab

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
oh man this is sounding great! all i need is some room LOL.

anyway i can filter maybe 5 gallon or WMO without buying all the filters, heads and such? what bout multiple coffee filters? i have about 5 gal of oil around my house and until i get the room i cant justify setting up all that just for a few gal now (and a gal here and there when i do oil changes).

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
My setup is simple as hell and portable too....It should be done on Thursday. I got all but 2 fittings today that I needed to finish it. Can't wait to try it out, I have a mix of new 15-40 Rotella and new 32 HYD oil here for a test run and my truck is going to need fuel by the end of the week....I left one tank empty for the test run.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
well if u can get pics and even a list of parts that would be super sweet! if its portable i assume it isnt very large then.

i just rememebered the garage down the street does oil changes and i can get thier WMO, ATF and gear oil.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All our waste oils/coolants go in the same tank and it's truck away legally...Seperated and re-sold for WMO heating fuel to local business's with waste oil furnaces. They pay us 1 cent per litre for the waste oil. I have an endless supply of "free" fuel if I want it....200-300L per day hitting the drain pan...LOL....But I would take it from the drain pan so I know it would be antifreeze free.
Yeah I guess I should have qualified that. In my State, once it is mixed you have to dispose of it as hazardous waste because the recyclers won't take it. The State regs say as long as it isn't mixed and is being recycled, both oil AND antifreeze can be stored and transported as non-hazardous. The recyclers have such a plentiful supply of both in their un-mixed state that they aren't interested in the hassle involved in transporting or storing the mixed stuff as hazardous waste - much less trying to separate it. It just isn't worth it for them.

Sounds like your regs are a bit different in Canada. They may be different in other states too - I really only deal with Washington, Idaho, and Alaska. Maybe Tennesee has regulation more like Canada's than ours.

I sure wish my company would let me have some of our waste oil. there is a 600 gallon tank of it sitting outside the auto shop of the building where I work. Unfortutely we have to account for every gallon and maintain records of how we dispose of all of it, so we can never be accused of our oil being improperly disposed of and ending up in some superfund site somewhere.

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of my setup, that I've used for a couple years now. I recently add a 110 volt 1500 watt water heater element to the bottom of the barrel and works great. Ended up costing less that $10 to have a heated barrel. Total cost all together was probably $110-$120. The heater made a huge differance with how fast it filtered. With the oil at 60 deg it world filter about .5 gallon per minute, now with the oil @ 100-110 it filters at about 2 gallons per minute. With this setup I can either use the air compressor or the pumps. I wouldn't have to have 2 pumps but the old one I had laying around couldn't get started by itself with cold oil in it so I put on a second one and works great.

BTW Robert, I love your magnetic heater that's duct taped on LOL LOL :D .

Attachments

• MVC-010F.JPG
    MVC-010F.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 46
  • MVC-011F.JPG
    MVC-011F.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 48

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you've been doing this for a couple of years now IDIJunkie? Tell us more...

What kind of filters are you using and what are their micron ratings?

What level of blending ar you doing? 50/50? More? Less?

Any issues or pitfalls you can give us a heads up on?

Inquiring minds want to know!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
BTW Robert, I love your magnetic heater that's duct taped on LOL LOL :D .

Thanks...Cussed 'em idnit :rotflmao
filtering the oil cold on a gravity feed, when it gets real cold, it won't make it through that last 2 micron filter without a little help, but at least running it through the first filter cold catches all the heavy fatty gunk.

I've thought about using a heater in the barrell before. Some veg places sell a heater as a veg heater, you can find said veg heater at any farm store as a water trough heater for about 1/2 to 1/3 the price ;Sweet I just don't want to have to deal with the fats on the vehicle, especially since my car is a one tank and I start cold on veg, I can't afford to have and fats congeling in anything, I need seriously clean liquid oil. The way I have it setup, It starts cold and within 30seconds it's got full heat veg going into the pump. The old Bosch pump doesn't mind much, wouldn't want to try that with a stanadyne though.

----Robert

pat_da_man

PatMan
Reaction score
when you guys are done filtering the oil does it look just like new? or is it still like black ? also wondering if the emmisions from using this oil is bad. told my brother that i wanted to try and use wmo and he was all like thats gonna give off some bad pollution mostly from the additives in oil? i just picked up some wmo some from a diesel some from a gasser. the gasser oil reaks of hydro carbons, would this oil be bad for using?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
my oil looks about as black as when i dump it in. i am not sure about emissions with burning it. they have in the fuel and on the shelves all sorts of additives. if it burns thoroughly though i doubt it would be a problem but would be interested to hear if someone truly knew what kind of trouble it could be. i know with some of my oil though i am saving it from being dumped somewhere and getting use from it.