zf5 transmission clunking and clatter with low rpm idle

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
hello everyone as the title says i have a problem my zf5 it making a shake rattle and ....clunking.

while idling and it goes away with just 100 or 150 more rpm from idle infact the higher idle from running waste oil is enough for it to go away also pushing in the clutch makes most of it go away execpt the shake.

i know nothing about manuals but my gut tells me it maybe the dual mass flywheel i know they have weights or something on them that can become lose? and the low idle throws them off balance?

anyone have any knowledge with this? help would be greatly appreciated

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
could be related to the DMF... i have very little experience with what theyre like when they fail

i do have experience with the T56 though, and that is a classic symptom of a used up throwout bearing

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
ok i thought maybe throw out because clutch pressure lessens the problem but the higher rpm takes it all away

DragRag

Reaction score
I second the duel mass flywheel statement. Replace your clutch with a new single mass, and all the clutch components and your problem will be gone.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
i was afraid that was the solution ! well how about this question is it going to totaly take a dump on my randomly and leave me stranded or just have an annoying shake and clunk until i can replace it

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Anyone have a Crystal ball ?

haha thanks (sarcasm) the point behind that question was. are dmf's prone to instant failure or is it a slow process.

obviously there is something wrong but its been like that since i bought and since the po bought it to but he rarely drove it.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the duel mass flywheel statement. Replace your clutch with a new single mass, and all the clutch components and your problem will be gone.

And you might get a new problem. A loud sound from the tranny that sounds like it is full of gravel instead of oil. Just do a search, some people have it worse than others, but I believe all have it some with the SMF conversions, they are just deaf or won't admit it.;Really

You get used to though, especially if you expect it while doing the conversion. You may be pleasantly surprised and not have much, but since you have some noise now, you will probably have it.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you pulled the inspection cover and looked at your clutch yet? You may already have a single mass flywheel installed, which would be pretty easy to identify by simply looking at it. The SMFs make lots of noise, especially on an engine that doesn't idle smoothly. Mine was really loud when I converted to SMF, and simply turning up the idle 100 rpms really helped a lot.

Do a search on SMFs and DMFs, have a look at what you have, and if it is a DMF making lots of noise, get ready to replace it (especially if the springs are showing any signs of being abnormal).

Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online