ZF5 swap parts list please

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, as of right now I have a great deal on a ZF5. It is coming out of a running truck with less than 200,000 miles for $350. I searched and searched but I cannot find what parts are needed for the swap. Can someone please give me a list of what I need? I already have the clutch pedals and clutch reservoir. I already know the drive shafts will be different. I have a good idea of what I need but I thought I would ask those who have done it so I don't have any surprises. Once I get everything it will be done in a day as long as everything goes correctly.

Any help is greatly appreciated

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transmission,
clutch set including flywheel. Mine came with the bolts needed to install it.
Pedals, slave and master cylinders and the line between them.
Shifter, shifter boots and the transmission tunnel.
Crossmember
Driveshaft(s)
Linkages for your transfer case possibly. Mine is a 2wd, so not sure there.

jas88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this pic of what is needed way back in the day before I swapped mine in, this helped me a lot:

You must be registered for see images

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What transmission do you have in the truck now? That may change the list a little bit. For instance if you have a c6, the lower c6 tranny crossmember will work for the zf. Also the c6 rear driveshaft will squeak in there and work with the zf, especially if you have a lift kit in the truck.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys appreciate it, i do have a c6 tranny and the truck is an f350 with a leveling kit so its kind of lifted,

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no the guy is parting the truck out, he already sold the engine out of the truck so im sure the flywheel and clutch is gone, i would replace the clutch anyway, i do have the tunnel, that one was nice and easy, i was walking through the junk yard and it was sitting on a flat bed f450 truck already removed lol, cost me 20 bucks

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it an F 250 or F 350 donor truck?

F250 X member may not work for you due to the front driveshaft differences from 2-350 one had a double cardan..that be the 350 and the ZF 4x crossmember bolts to OUTSIDE of drivers side of frame, then across and over to pass side with a brace on top from upper section of frame.

Best to explain in full detail what you have vs what you are getting to help make clear accurate suggestions from members...

JM2CW

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is a 1995 f250 4x4, the cross member isn't a huge concern many of the junk yards around me have plenty of old ford trucks im sure there is one around, i didnt know that they bolted differently between the two

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try to grab the wiring that unplugs from under the brake booster and runs to the zf and the transfer case. I am not sure about a 95, but on my 89 when I swapped from the c6 to the zf, I unplugged this harness off my truck, and plugged in the zf harness. No wire cutting to do. If you do not get the harness, you will have to hunt down the red/blue wires going to the old c6, cut them and twist them together or the truck will not crank over. You will also have to hunt down the original back-up light wires and splice them into the new zf back-up switch.

You will also need to do something with the steering column. I took a piece of wire and tied the arm right above the steering box in the up position. If you don't do this, then you can't start the truck, the column thinks you are in gear and won't let the keyswitch linkage move. I then took a punch and punched out the pin and took the auto lever off the column.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didn't even think about the column and hopefully the wiring wont be damaged, unfortunately i am not the one pulling the trans out of the truck so i hope he doesnt just cut it. if not i can get wiring digrams no problem but i would definitely like to avoid that if i can