ZF5 Swap... Cant find write up

McGIDI

Reaction score
hey guys im in afghanistan and my internet sucks and i want to find this write up on the swap but i cant find it on my piece of crap adroid since my computer crapped out. If someone can tell me where it is or hook me up with the link it would be awesome....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it's for "old blue" it's stupid simple.
remove the t19, bellhousing, clutch and floorpan
reinstall with ZF5 specific parts....clutch, trans and floorpan.
the hydraulics is transferable.
the floorpans ideally should be swaped but if you can't find one, you can cut a new hole. hole placement is different between the two.
you might get lucky and be able to move your driveshaft back an inch or you may have to have it cut.
that is all.
see.
easy. :D

McGIDI

Reaction score
dude that is awesome... and yes its for old blue lol only truck i own haha so for the floor pan am i gonna have to do serious fabing or will it be pretty simple cause me and sheet metal dont get along

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dude that is awesome... and yes its for old blue lol only truck i own haha so for the floor pan am i gonna have to do serious fabing or will it be pretty simple cause me and sheet metal dont get along

some guessumation and a cut-off wheel will do the trick.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 87-91 pan will fit though it's shaped a bit differently. Nothing more than a 1/4" off though. Bolt holes line up.

You cannot use a C6 floor pan with a ZF, the transmission casing it higher and it will hit the floor pan. Not sure if the T-19 will clear or not.

You also need the ZF x-member, and it will need to move aft about 1/2" probably requiring new holes or some fab work.

Probably the driveline with fit. I was able to use a 2wd regular cab t-19 driveline on my 2wd reg cab zf conversion without any problem.

McGIDI

Reaction score
So i will probly need a set up from a reg cab 2wd since that is what my truck is then. So basically some real minor fabing and i can slap the zf5... anyone on here have one and is it a nice change

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i will probly need a set up from a reg cab 2wd since that is what my truck is then. So basically some real minor fabing and i can slap the zf5... anyone on here have one and is it a nice change

information you will find easily. finding a good ZF.........that's going to be a challenge.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a bricknose floor pan in mine. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the difference between slantnose / bricknose floor pans is in the shifter for the transfer case. Shifter goes through the floor pan on the slantnose trucks, and has it's own hole to the left of the floor pan on the bricks. I just made a new hole in the floor and used the transfer case shifter from the brick; had to shorten the linkage to the transfer case to accomplish this. The BW1345 uses a shorter link than the BW1356 that was in the donor truck.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I used a bricknose floor pan in mine. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the difference between slantnose / bricknose floor pans is in the shifter for the transfer case. Shifter goes through the floor pan on the slantnose trucks, and has it's own hole to the left of the floor pan on the bricks. I just made a new hole in the floor and used the transfer case shifter from the brick; had to shorten the linkage to the transfer case to accomplish this. The BW1345 uses a shorter link than the BW1356 that was in the donor truck.

I think it all depends on the year for the links.

Between my 88 and 94, they were different lengths also. I just kept the link with the corresponding shifter.

But I believe his is 2wd, so he won't have to mess with that.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Another member here just posted about buying a rebuilt ZF5 speed off craigslist only to install it and find out it was a junker.. Not a rebuilt trans... Scam atrists are everywhere. Form what the member posted its difficult to see into the trans because of the case design. So its hard to know if the trans actually is a good trans. So its best to know who your buying from.. check out the other buyers that have bought from said seller. Its just like buying a "turbo engine.. So what if the serial numbers tel you its a turbo block.. Only true way of determining if its actually a turbo block is to remove the rods. Se the 28 or 33mm pins. Even if that engine has never been removed from the truck it was born with.. Its still a risk... Its a small risk but still a risk. Anyone looking at my block serial numbers will tell you its a non turbo engine even though you can clearly see the Banks sidewinder on it... But the internals are all turbo parts. Once again thats only the rods and exhaust valves. All... And when I say all internal parts in these 6.9 and 7.3 engines are the same part right down to the part numbers. Which makes it so easy to find parts. So in our case a small block rod fits and works fine in the big blocks...:sly;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online