ZF, TOB or something else?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Torque causing the turbo up or down pipe to contact the cab

That will be 5 dollars :)
On that note I had the same issue but only when really romping on it up a nasty hill in 1st or 2nd. While the cause of the noise was the same, the reason was due to my transmission having ZERO bolts in the crossmember!!! Yikes. One ear was broken off and the other apparently wiggled out while I was enjoying not fixing anything under my pickup for a few years.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
? I don't even understand what I'm looking at ... Looks like a LOT of work went on and it looks heavy duty.
What is it?

That is the cab pinch seam where the turbo up/down pipes come up to the turbo. The seam has to be bent as part of the turbo installation in order for them to clear. He is bending his with what looks like a little hydraulic jack?

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Torque causing the turbo up or down pipe to contact the cab

That will be 5 dollars :)

Based on your description, this might be 5 dollars well spent. If you have someone look at you motor as you roll back in fourth in 1st and reverse, do you see the motor move (twist) at all as you engage the clutch?

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have someone look at you motor as you roll back in fourth

I appreciate the advice but there's no one around, probably for a few days, and my dog can't work the pedals worth a damn...and she quit talking to me last month.
Maybe I'll rig up a camera.

The truth is the transmission needs to come out anyway. I was just under the truck, moved the driveshaft back and forth (stop to stop) and something doesn't sound right. I'm pretty sure that I'm hearing springs rattle.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have the Kevlar pilot bushing number? The the part number that I posted has inconsistent descriptions across web sites.
Part # number again:
South Bend Clutch PB50K-HD

Thank you

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7.3 IDIT zf5 and a 093 turbo. the downpipe hit the firewall. causing weird vibrations.
I used a $100 porta power to give me the room I needed.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't rush to pull the transmission... What do you mean by by stop to stop? Where are you holding drive shaft? Are you rotating and there is play, if so how much for example 1/2 turn? Are you shaking up and down or side to side and you get
movement? Do you have a center carrier in the drive line (extended and crew cabs)? If so grab driveline at the carrier and shake up and down and side to side. Do you have movement here?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at the Kevlar bushing from a 500hp south bend clutch kit I have at the shop and don’t see a part number on the bushing, but here’s the kit part number it may cross over for you.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have the Kevlar pilot bushing number? The the part number that I posted has inconsistent descriptions across web sites.
Part # number again:
South Bend Clutch PB50K-HD

Thank you

I would just use parts in the LUK kit. What's the Kevlar pilot bushing? Sounds expensive and like something you don't need. The brass bushings are fine, needle bearing a little better. Run brass bushings dry and pack the rollers in grease and you won't have any problems.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by by stop to stop?

I rotated it until it stopped rotating. Holding it at the out put shaft ... about 3/8" inch rotation each way because the truck is on the driveway. No lateral movement in the drive line while pushing / pulling.

Since I can hear (what I believe to be) springs rattle, when I preform this exercise, I want to see what going on in there.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotational movement like that is pretty normal. There will be a clunking when you get to each stop - again pretty normal.

When you say you are hearing this rattle, is it while you are turning? Do you think that it's the same noise you are chasing while engaging reverse?

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Much appreciated.

What TOB do you like? I saw the the South Bend is $50!

I'd use the one that comes in the LUK kit. Unless you have a compelling reason to run something else, I would run a LUK clutch. That said, unless you have to pull the transmission for something else - run the one you got till it breaks. Focus on finding the root cause of the original problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.