zf fluids

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
50W Shell Synthetic in my truck, works good with 285,000KM on the trans....A little hard to shift on the cold days until you drive for a bit.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i have mobil one syn ATF in mine, first time through the gears on a cold day is a bit of a chore (possible syncro issue for me) but after that its like butter.

i dont know what the rating is, i got it from advance auto and autozone (cleaned out both store lol, went syn in the trasn and t-case, and t-case on my 93).

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
while i got one thread open....
just installed the master and slave cylinder during this swap.

pushed the clutch down and worked great... too great, split the slave in half,
I'll have to go get a new one.
what woulda caused that?
was it on account that I had it hooked to nothing?

hate to buy a new one and have it do it.
you answered your own question.
the slave is not designed to hold that much pressure. the fork normally limits the travel of the cylinder.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
just wanted to make sure :) I had that strange realization... as they say "experience is something you get about 30 seconds after you needed it."

shame too, when i took off the master/slave at H2ODr's I made sure it was still primed so I wouldn't have to bleed it out....
ohh well, I didn't really like that plastic slave, now I have a fancy metal one with bleed screw and all.

I'm still new to transmissions, wouldn't suprise me if I put something else in backwards.
stay tuned and find out :)

beaver55

Reaction score
I had to replace my slave cylinder a while back, and it was a plastic one also,where did you get the metal one,I got the plastic one from a NAPA dealer.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
on another note, it seems a trans-crossmember from a c6 is the same as a crossmember for a zf5.

please correct me if i'm wrong, seems like the zf yoke is a lil higher, but the engine sits in the same place, all lined up.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
When I did the swap I had to oval the bolt holes for the frame to crossmember, and the trans. mount by quite a bit. I used the mount from the c6 as it was shorter. I got a magnetic angle finder and tried to kept the driveline angles in spec. from my ford service manual.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
perhaps the ovaling was on account of yours being 4wd?

either way, 4quarts of mobil1 syn atf poured through the shifter (while I had it off). We'll see how it goes, smelled like there was atf in it originally, but it was jet black....
guess we'll see.

on another note, the rear driveshaft is the same, but the forward shaft needed 11inches added to it.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I forgot that your doing a 4wd conversion also. If I remember right the 4wd zf was 1.5" longer than the c6, The zf donor truck was a 2wd so i had to improve a bit. I have mobil 1 15w 50 in there now 5qts I believe. When I change it I will got to a thinner oil as the thicker oil keeps the synchros from performing there job, esp. when cold.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726