zf fluids

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just used the fluid ment for for trannys(it should be listed in the computer at your parts store, but I think it was dex 3). I think I used 2 quarts of regular atf, a quart of amsoil synthetic and then topped the rest of the tranny off with regular atf.

The synthetic did help to losen up the gears and synchros and has allows the transmission to shift more easily.

Mine got to the point where I had to wait 5-10 seconds between shifts and feather it in at the same time. Now I can shift easily into every gear except third, it can be a bit notchy.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Translation, min. synthetic Mercon III or Allison Transynd for diesel applications
In Amsoil that works out to their Torque Drive synthetic ATF, but that's not what I'm running in mine. Your basic atf is 20 wt and when crossing the lube for the spicer aux box I'm putting in, we came up with the 30 wt Amsoil synthetic Powershift tranny fluid CTJ as the match for that and a good heavier match for the zf than the 20 wt without going to gear oil ( previous owner had some seriously heavy stuff in there to I assume quiet things down, but it was a pig to shift when cold, now nice and quiet and shifts smooth cold ;Sweet. It's been working out real well. Even on 8 deg mornings heading out, cold shifts, not a problem.

jdchristian3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use synthetic diesel oil... i believe its 5-40 or 10-40. mor cusion than ATF, but still thin to get in the bearings... Get the Rotella T Synthetic. the is the best synthetic this side of AMSOIL, Royal Purple, ect... i had some friends who worked in the Cleveland, OH oil lab. they would test stuff for the heck of it after hours... do not use lucas oil stabilizer in any thing that turns much over 2500 rpm. that stuff foams up like you wouldnt believe at just past mid-range rpm on a gas engine... and diesel flow alot quicker and they do...

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
yeah I tore the truck apart yesterday.
between going out to the farm trying to sell my house and going to a party I've managed to:
pull the front seat, take out steering column, pull pedals, pull driveshaft, remove crossmember, pull and remove all linkage for shifting, etc,
not bad for 6 hours. now to put it all back in different :)

i'll figure on synthetic mercon and go from there. It's just oil and I can always change it later.... but at least I'll go with specs for now.

many thanks,
Drew

Last edited:

beaver55

Reaction score
I have a 94 f-250 diesel with the zf 5 speed,I just went to a synthetic lube in it,works great. It is called syncro shift 2,It is a synthetic gear lubricaunt made for modern munal transmissions,transaxles & transfer cases, sae75-w-80.It is made by BG gear.It is not cheep in canada,25.95 a quart

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles do you have on that trans running that stuff?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
while i got one thread open....
just installed the master and slave cylinder during this swap.

pushed the clutch down and worked great... too great, split the slave in half,
I'll have to go get a new one.
what woulda caused that?
was it on account that I had it hooked to nothing?

hate to buy a new one and have it do it.

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is synthetic ATF a multiweight oil? Mine has the el cheapo ATF in it but it is hard to shift at cold temps.

Paul B

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online