ZF-5 w/4x4 swap

Dustin Kim

Reaction score
Alright guys so I am getting my hands on a zf5 s47 and the BW4407 transfer case. From what I have read I think the driveshafts are gonna be different sizes. Now I need to find me a rear driveshaft that will fit an extended cab full size bed 155 wheel base.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the 4407 output has a flange instead of a slip yoke. You could get the flange adapter and get your driveshaft cut down.

Dustin Kim

Reaction score
Alright so I gotta extend my rear driveshaft a bit I believe. My current driveshaft is out of a 2wd E4od f350 dually. It is currently a 2 piece but will extending it have any repercussions? Should I just go with a 1 piece? Do you just extend the front portion? Also have to put a flange end at the front since the 4407 has a flange end.
You must be registered for see images attach

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm jealous. I've been looking for donor trucks for a while now and can't find a thing. Want to do the 4x4 swap in my '91 dually. Sucks.

Dustin Kim

Reaction score
Does anyone have any pictures of a 4x2 zf5 crossmember and a 4x4 zf5 crossmember? I'm getting conflicting reports of both will work and no they won't work. Thanks!

Steven Sochalski

Reaction score
Does anyone have any pictures of a 4x2 zf5 crossmember and a 4x4 zf5 crossmember? I'm getting conflicting reports of both will work and no they won't work. Thanks!

4x4 ZF5

Dustin Kim

Reaction score
Any specific angle you want, or were you wanting an unmounted one. (I don't have )
Nope that’s exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! There is definitely a difference between the 4x2 and the 4x4 crossmember. Which transfer case do you have there btw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steven Sochalski

Reaction score
Nope that’s exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! There is definitely a difference between the 4x2 and the 4x4 crossmember. Which transfer case do you have there btw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bw1356. I pulled it apart when doing the smf and clutch swap. The pump locating arm had almost worn through the support. I'd highly reccomend cracking the case and inspecting yours if you have it down.

Not my pic, but this is exactly what I did. Welded a rod to the arm.

Last edited:

Dustin Kim

Reaction score
Has anyone here done a 4x2 e4od to a 4x4 zf5 swap in an extended cab long bed? I'm nearing the point of having to modify my rear driveshaft but i'm not sure if my two piece rear driveshaft will work with the swapped zf5+4407

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put your truck's information in your signature. This will help everyone from asking "What year is your truck", " What model of truck do you have", and any other pertinent information. Go to the the Top Black line and click on your User Name, than click on signature and fill out the details. Done!

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. I've got a bw4407 which I do need to crack open and inspect as well.
I wouldn't thing so - qualified with I am not an expert. For what it's worth, the (rear) yoke coming out of the 4407 is hard to find. It was easier for me to buy the whole transfer case. I asked the guy why they were so cheap, and he said there wasn't really a market for them, because they don't break. These things are supposed to be bombproof.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the 4407 output has a flange instead of a slip yoke. You could get the flange adapter and get your driveshaft cut down.

What's the adaptor? Is the the part of the driveline from the U-joint back that from a powerstroke that has the flange style connect? Then find a ujoint that cup sizes that will join the two sides? Curious as I was planning to do this swap on my little foot project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online