ZF-5 w/4x4 swap

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the adaptor? Is the the part of the driveline from the U-joint back that from a powerstroke that has the flange style connect? Then find a ujoint that cup sizes that will join the two sides? Curious as I was planning to do this swap on my little foot project.

Basically yes but I don't think you'll have to search for special u-joints. I don't know for sure which ones are on your truck but Denny's and others have the flanges for many different joints. You may not even have to cut your drive shaft.

https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/c161_flange_yokes_by_vehicle_application.html#c162-Ford

These are by application but a spicer catalog will tell you what's available and then you can just google that part number to find a vendor.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here done a 4x2 e4od to a 4x4 zf5 swap in an extended cab long bed? I'm nearing the point of having to modify my rear driveshaft but i'm not sure if my two piece rear driveshaft will work with the swapped zf5+4407

My '97 is a CCSB I think it is called a 154"wb. It is a e4od and 4407 and has a 2 piece driveshaft. An ext cab long bed should be 155" wb, is yours an f350? I didn't know an ext cab was ever offered in the f350. I thought there was only regular cab and crew. I know there were a few conversion companies that did dually conversions on f250s. I can go get rough measurements on my DS if it would help. I'm also pretty sure the overall dimensions of the zf+xfer and the e4od+xfer are the same. I know on the front DS there's only 2 options and they are interchangeable. So if the front DS flange is the same wouldn't that put the rear flange in the same position as well?

Last edited:

Dustin Kim

Reaction score
My '97 is a CCSB I think it is called a 154"wb. It is a e4od and 4407 and has a 2 piece driveshaft. An ext cab long bed should be 155" wb, is yours an f350? I didn't know an ext cab was ever offered in the f350. I thought there was only regular cab and crew. I know there were a few conversion companies that did dually conversions on f250s. I can go get rough measurements on my DS if it would help. I'm also pretty sure the overall dimensions of the zf+xfer and the e4od+xfer are the same. I know on the front DS there's only 2 options and they are interchangeable. So if the front DS flange is the same wouldn't that put the rear flange in the same position as well?
Yep it’s a 155”wb extended cab long bed f350. I was wondering if you might be able to take a picture of your driveshaft connected to your 4407? Measurements would be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep it’s a 155”wb extended cab long bed f350. I was wondering if you might be able to take a picture of your driveshaft connected to your 4407? Measurements would be awesome!

Give me an hour or so, there's storms moving through our area and everything's soaking wet right now.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Dustin Kim

Front shaft 32.5" center to center
Flange face of 4407 to carrier centerline is 22"
Front u-joint centerline to carrier centerline 20.5"
Rear shaft is 34" center to center
Overall is 66" center to center

You must be registered for see images attach

Dustin Kim

Reaction score
@Dustin Kim

Front shaft 32.5" center to center
Flange face of 4407 to carrier centerline is 22"
Front u-joint centerline to carrier centerline 20.5"
Rear shaft is 34" center to center
Overall is 66" center to center

That’s awesome. Thanks!

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some more.....

Dustin Kim

Reaction score
Alright so now the transfer case is in! I have a pigtail that fits into the 4407 with two wires. A light blue wire and a light blue/black wire. I have been trying to figure out where both these wires splice into the harness. Anyone get this 4x4 indicator light to work?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the lightblue wire, and with the ignition on touch it to a good ground. The 4x4 light in the dash should light up. Take the lightblue/black wire and touch it to a good ground, the low range light should light up. The switch in the transfer case should ground these wires in the proper positions.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since your truck is 2wd you may not have the bulbs in the dash to light up but there should be an extra connector or two down beside the trans that is for the xfer case hookup and should operate as described above.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.