ZF-5 Questions/Conversion

dnoellsch

Reaction score
I have a 1994 F-250 4x2 with an E40D that is going bad and am wanting to convert it to a ZF-5 transmission. A couple of questions I had.... the transmission that my buddy has is from a 4x4 and I have a 4x2 that I have no intention of making a 4x4. Will this tranmission work or do I need a different extension housing? If so, how easy is it to get one? Or am I better off just continuing my search for a different one made for a 4x2? I don't typically get a chance at a manual so I would really like to make this one work if possible.

Thanks,
David

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Short of completely disassembling the tranny to replace the tailshaft housing, no, you can't use a 4x4 tranny on a 4x2. If you REALLY want that tranny, you could put it and the transfer case on the truck and just not put in a front drivetrain and let the transfer case be a dead weight (although you COULD use 4L as a 2WD Low gear ;) ), but I would recommend forgetting about that tranny and finding a 2WD ZF5.

Of course, part of this is that you NEED to find a ZF5 out of a diesel; the g@$ ZF has a slightly different bellhousing bolt pattern.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...good luck in your search!

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
You would think that the tail housing would be easy to remove BUT, If I recall correctly everything comes off from the other end.

Here is alot of notes and information that I gathered when I did my conversion.

dnoellsch

Reaction score
Warden,

I was afraid that would be the case... I guess I will continue my search. I would really hate to put the money into this E40D when my tech says it might fail again. Besides I wanted a manual from the beginning. I just have to be patient I guess.

Ceejmo,

Thanks for the awesome file collection. This will make things so much easier. That zip file covers about every detail that I hadn't even considered yet. Very nice!

If anyone has a ZF-5 for a 4x2 or knows where one is, please let me know.

Thanks,
David

dnoellsch

Reaction score
Ceejmo,

I was also wondering, you stated that you used a S5-47 model ZF-5 in you conversion, so will a S5-42 work? Also, will a S5-42 that is from a 1997 fit (I would assume so)?

Thanks,
David