zf 5 fluid capactiy transfer case

thill

Reaction score
93, f 350 idi. manual trans. 10" arbortech chipper body, 4 wd, borg warner transfer case. I went to flush the transfer case this morning. Way more fluid came out then I was able to get back in. Using atf. Do the tranny and transfer case share fluid? Cuz when I took out the fill plug, even before the drain plug was open, fluid started pouring out. Tranny is mounted above transfer case, so my thought was that trans fluid came out? Also is the zf 5 the only transmission that is a manual in these trucks? Thoughts? input? I plan on changing tranny fluid as well soon, but I need the truck this weekend and didn't have the time to do both, but know I'm worried.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
So, the person before you may have simply put more in then required, or.... Your ZF 5 was overfilled and it leaked through the seals into the Transfer Case but I highly doubt that, still possible though. The normal oil level in the transmission is below the shaft seals anyhow, so one thing you could do is pull out the fill plug on the transmission and see if fluid comes out, if so then the transmission was overfilled, and if that is overfilled, then someone probably overfilled the T-case as well. I wouldn't be to worried, as long as the fluid isn't burnt, no water and no metal shavings, your good to go! ;Sweet The ZF5-42 was made for the 7.3L so technically, the ZF 5 is the only manual for our trucks, there is also the T-19 but that was made for the 6.9L's, and is a 4 Speed, ya don't want that, not bad, just less gears :/ Hope this helps! Oh and when you change the fluid in your transmission, once full, an extra quart isn't bad, those transmission are just a oil bath type with no pump so a little extra always helps ;Sweet

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
...98.5 - 2006 They started putting in the ZF 6 Speeds. So technically, the ZF 5 is the only manual for our trucks unless you want to mod a few things and have the ZF 6...

Just to make this clear, the ZF-6 is NOT a bolt in upgrade for the IDI's. One member went through the great deal of work needed to get a ZF-6 to work with an IDI. He said if he were to do it again, he would just go the ZF-5 route. The amount of work required was not worth it. You do not gain a higher top gear, top gear in both is almost exactly the same ratio. First is also about the same. All you gain is one gear in-between, in the middle. He said absolutely not worth it. I just wanted to clarify this, so someone not familiar with this did not read this and think, "Hey I can just get a ZF-6 and bolt it in"... That's not gonna happen........

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Just to make this clear, the ZF-6 is NOT a bolt in upgrade for the IDI's. One member went through the great deal of work needed to get a ZF-6 to work with an IDI. He said if he were to do it again, he would just go the ZF-5 route. The amount of work required was not worth it. You do not gain a higher top gear, top gear in both is almost exactly the same ratio. First is also about the same. All you gain is one gear in-between, in the middle. He said absolutely not worth it. I just wanted to clarify this, so someone not familiar with this did not read this and think, "Hey I can just get a ZF-6 and bolt it in"... That's not gonna happen........

It has been removed :p .... Now that you mention it, I remember reading somethin about that. Thanks for havin my back! ;Sweet

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Just to be clear the ZF5 was not "made for" the 7.3 and the T19 was not "made for" the 6.9. T19s were around long before the 6.9, and the ZF5 is a German transmission... Ziegenschnell Fliegenshiften! I do not believe it was made specifically for a Ford diesel, particularly considering the one piece cast bell/main case which came in 3 varieties for SBF, 385 series, and IDI... Along with the South American/Brazilian cast iron case ZF5 with bolt on separate bellhousing.

Regardless, to the OP just remove the top/fill plug on your ZF5 and dip a finger in. Fluid should either leak out when removing plug or be at/just below the fill plug level. It's possible it was overiflled and the output shaft seal has leaked into the space between the trans and transfer case, but then the input shaft seal on teh transfer case would have to fail to allow it to drain into the transfer case. You're probably fine. Just check the ZF level and change it when you get a chance.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your transfer case has a plate on the right side for a power take-off, right? That version of the BW 13xx series, used in the F350 (and up) trucks, has two fill plugs. Look on the FRONT side of the case. You'll see another fill plug on that side, much higher than the one on the back side. The idea is, if you're just driving the truck, you fill it to the lower fill plug level (same as the F250 version of the t-case, with just one fill plug). If you plan on actually using the PTO, you fill it to the higher fill plug level. So some previous owner either used the PTO, or was just extra cautious and filled it to the higher plug.

The ZF5 could not have been made for "Ford diesels", since of course, our trucks don't have Ford diesels in them (neither do the PSDs). But Ford was ZF's _primary_ customer for the ZF5 (but not the only one). There was also a ZF5 that was mechanically the same design, different gear ratios, and a slightly different case, bolt patterned for Ford gassers; they went behind the 460.

ZF REQUIRES SYNTHETIC ATF in the ZF5 when it's commissioned behind a diesel engine.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this post makes me want to put a ZF5 in my 01 PSD.