ZD9 Glow time?

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
I got my manual switch wired into the controller like factory as you guys know, but the one thing I'm wondering is how long should I hold them for in the cold (32* and lower)? I asked other guys on diesel stop and they said 8 to 10 sec. Could I glow then for 15-20 sec? But I'm wondering why is there a cycling period after the truck normally starts, and could I just start without cycling them after it's running?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It cycles after it's running to keep the tree huggers happy and keep down the smoke a little bit out of the tailpipe.

There is no set time for glowing the plugs. These engines are like any other. Some old cars like two pumps before you crank them, some don't need any gas pedal pumps, some need a lot. Some need a lot of cranking, some not.

For long life glow your plugs the least amount possible. Glow them for 5 to 10 seconds and try to start it. If it's really cold outside and it doesn't even sputter, glow them another 5 seconds and try again. If it sputters, you know you are close and one more 5 second glow will probably get it going. Normal cold stsrting for mine is usually two 5 second glows and it will start after the second one. If it's really cold I usually have to do this 3 times and it will start. Like I said, your truck is probably different, there is no reason why you can't experiment. But no way would I hold the button over 10 seconds, I stay conservative and hold it 5 seconds. Glowplugs are expensive.

Last edited:

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
I wasnt really insisting on a set time, I'm sorry I should've looked at my other threads to see if I said this before. My memory is bad. I'll just hold em for 10 seconds :)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Why use the manual type switch.. The factory controller works very well for many users. Now if you have the controller and it sticks and burns out a good new set of plugs... Fix it by determining why it caused this. Then all the thinking and guessing is done by the controller for you. I just feel those that have a controller problem attempt to "fix it" by taking it out of the start program. And then do the guessing manual stuff... That doesn't make sence to me. The 7.3 controllers work very wel. How is a manual system going to be better than that. I do understand the control over the glow times but thats all I can agree with..

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15 seconds..should start nice (below 32)

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
The reason why is because it turned them on every single time the truck was started, and burned at least three out. I knew that if I put another controller on it it would do the same thing. But the main thing I was wondering is can I start er up and not have them cycle when it's running? Ya know just use them once.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found out for the controller to work properly, the glowplug harness must be in tip top shape. They are all getting too old now to be reliable unless you rebuild the harness and put new connectors on the glowplugs themselves. Then factory unit will work correctly.

At the time(snow season) I didn't have the time to rebuild the harness, so I went to manual and it worked well. I have done another dump truck also this way with good results. You just want to get in and have to start reliably. Many pieces of equipment use a manual system, so it's not a big deal to someone who runs heavy equipment all the time, or has a farm tractor. I can see where it would be to someone who is not familiar with using equipment that has a manual switch.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasnt really insisting on a set time, I'm sorry I should've looked at my other threads to see if I said this before. My memory is bad. I'll just hold em for 10 seconds :)

Sorry my response seemed a little harsh. I will edit it a little bit. A few un-needed words make a big difference.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
your ok sir, I was just wanting to start up and not have to cycle the glow plugs, was wondering if it would be ok to do that. ya know only use them for the very first start up. :) I think I'll be ok doing that.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Mine(had a manual setup when I bought it) would sputter for awhile after start up, so I started running them a little after that first cold start. So basically it would just smooth out the engine a bit, and clear up some smoke.

But now that engine is in my brothers truck with the factory controller and starts just fine.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone know if i can have a manual ovverride button on zd9 style system? so have factory one in place but also add the button to glow em for a few extra seconds? I have all new plugs but never starts nice (even in scorching hot weather), but always starts great on a block heater. Like someone mentioned, its probably the harness itself which is building excessive resistance (im going to make my own once its warm again) but for now id like it to start better.

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
anyone know if i can have a manual ovverride button on zd9 style system? so have factory one in place but also add the button to glow em for a few extra seconds? I have all new plugs but never starts nice (even in scorching hot weather), but always starts great on a block heater. Like someone mentioned, its probably the harness itself which is building excessive resistance (im going to make my own once its warm again) but for now id like it to start better.

here http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?36169-How-To-Manual-Glow-Plug-Switch

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Fwiw I love my manual button ;Sweet

Anyway to answer your question I really have no idea. I do know when its cold out 10 or less seconds is not enough on my 91. I usually shoot for 15 and that seems to be just right.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
purg, guess that answeres my question if i can run em both, but I should clarify that zd9s, the manual button only needs to see ground and now power.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on a few Things:
How healthy is the engine
How cold
Glow plug brand

For my experience bosch in three engines 5-8 seconds was plenty down to freezing on 300+k mile engine. Beru took 8-14 on my engine but it progressively has died.

I find it odd that so many people love how unautomated, noncomputer controlled the idi is, but would rather spend hundreds to maintain an automated system versus holding a button several seconds. A button and some wire cost a couple bucks, a controller is a lot more. The only thing i have that is electronic and automated is the e-pump wired up to key on. And it irks me to trust an electric pump over the standard but the filter-filling/purging properties plus reputation swayed me. But trusting a piece of equipment designed in the early 90s over my finger, no way.

What happens when one glow plug dies on both systems?
Stock : "click click click click clickclickclickclick putt putt vroom(if you have decent compression).
Manual control: "putt putt vroom"

Cant get it started and want to use.. Dare i say it..? Ether?! Manual plugs - no problem. Stock controller - gotta unhook some crap because a glow plug might come on an give you a badder day.

Im not against automated control itself. I just wish there was something newer and more reliable. It only takes a week of experimenting to learn how much time your truck wants before starting. You could start high like 12, say it starts. (if it doesnt you have other issues or its very cold out) OK try 11 next time. Still good? 10, 9,8,7,6,5 until it wont happily start. If they arent beru, like bosch i would probably start with 10. I suggest high to low because the other way around will have less successful FIRST starts. What costs more, glow plugs or a new starter... Repeated attempts put more strain on the starter.

Any glowplug can swell, i only trust motorcraft and bosch made in germany. Either of those made in mexico, no way, gotta be german. Non-ford diesel guys praise bosch glowplugs, but the crowd here sticks with beru mostly because of the horror that everyone had with the champion,autolite,crap plugs.