Yukon Duragrip in Sterling 10.25

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I installed 2 of these, around the time of this post about 3 years ago. They have been working well, after many miles. Mild lock up for light duty off road, quiet and smooth and lots of highway miles without any failure. However, Yukon calls for 80w-90 conventional w/ use of their additive. Ford calls for 75w-140 synthetic in the sterling 10.25. I have been running what Yukon recommends but would really like to go back to 75-140 if I could. I just feel better about it. Has anyone tried 75w-140 with a Yukon LS? Any chattering/harsh lockup/no lockup etc?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I had a nice & tight factory trac-lok in my f350 that simply wouldn't grip on wet grass with a ton in the bed. I sure hope the yukon product can do better, but i would be skeptical.

I went to Detroit locker on that truck and never looked back.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the price of that thing I'd be getting an Eaton Truetrac. Plenty of posts on FTE about people ditching the Yukon for the Eaton unit. No clutches to worry about on the Eaton. Any cost savings would be eaten up by the necessity to remove it and install something else should there be issues later down the road.

Edit - Pricing showed me Canadian dollars when searching, not US. $569 ($756 Canuck Bucks) for the Yukon, vs almost $800 for the Eaton.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I have two friends than ran rear torsen type diffs and got rid of them in favour of a real locker. Not hardcore offroaders either.

That said, I've got a tru-trac ready to go in the jeep's dana 30. Want something better than open on the front, and a full locker proved a bit quirky.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Good advice, maybe next time I will get a Eaton or Detroit. So far, for average driving, light duty off road/slippery driveways etc, the Yukons have been good. We'll see how they stand up long term

Black dawg

Reaction score
I installed 2 of these, around the time of this post about 3 years ago. They have been working well, after many miles. Mild lock up for light duty off road, quiet and smooth and lots of highway miles without any failure. However, Yukon calls for 80w-90 conventional w/ use of their additive. Ford calls for 75w-140 synthetic in the sterling 10.25. I have been running what Yukon recommends but would really like to go back to 75-140 if I could. I just feel better about it. Has anyone tried 75w-140 with a Yukon LS? Any chattering/harsh lockup/no lockup etc?
I prefer 75/140 syn in the 10.25 also, but unless you are running sustained speed towing heavy, it really isnt needed.

I assume that diff is a clutch pack limited slip? Syn gear oil will very likely make it not work as good as it does now....slipping clutches easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online