Sterling 10.25 carrier removal?

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
So I bought a used sterling axle for my 86 project truck. I could tell when I got it by the gasket on the diff cover that someone had been into it before. It must have had some catastrophic failure at some point in time. All the gears appear to be new which is great but who ever did the work to it didn't bother to clean any of the crap out very well. I pulled the axles so I could change the wheel bearings and hub seals. The axle tubes are filthy with black metallic goop. I figure the only way to get them clean is going to be to remove the carrier assembly and push clean rags through them to push the junk out. Last thing I want is that crap getting in my new bearings. MY question is if I remove the carrier assembly will I change the setup or throw something out of wack?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
As long as each shim ends up back in the correct place (assuming the gear lash and track pattern were set correctly) you'll be fine taking the diff chunk out and putting it back in. Did that with both mine and my dad's dana60 front axle, no issues yet.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Seems like you are trying to do too much work to clean up the housing. I would get some lacquer thinner or paint thinner and an air siphon jet cleaner. Or even a bunch of brake cleaner spray. Pull the axles out and spray down the tubes to clean them, then spray around the carrier starting at the top. When runoff comes out clean, shoot a little oil on the gears and bearings and you are ready to button it up.

Even pulling rags through the tubes will leave debris that can ruin the bearings. Whatever method you decide. do it twice and maybe three times. You will always find a little more crud. Pay close attention to cleanliness around bearings. Best of luck with your project!

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I ended up pulling the carrier and cleaning everything out. It was filthy inside the axle tubes. So much metallic stuff that I could stick my magnetic wand in them and pull out gobs of the stuff. I used rags to get the bulk of it then used lots of brake clean and compressed air. Finished with clean paper shop towels.

I plan on doing a couple short runs with cheap gear oil to flush out anything I missed. The new cover I got also has a magnet on it so hopefully between all that everything will be good.